Ha már letörölted ellenfeled vérét...

Minden, ami profiboksz!
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CsatlakozottCOLON 1970-01-01 02:00:00
CONTACTCOLON

Hozzászólás Szerző: WNB »

Azt, hogy a Hopkins-"történet" nyoma persze máig is ott van DiBellában, akár az is mutathatja, hogy a mostani Martinez-Williams-II utáni interjúban is amikor kérdezi tőle a riporter, hogy "ugye ez a legnagyobb pillanat a karrierjében?", akkor azt mondja: "nem, ez csak a második legnagyobb, mivel a legnagyobb - személyes okból - az volt, amikor Jermain először győzte le Hopkinst"...

http://www.ringtv.com/video/sergio_mart ... nterviews/ (~2:30-tól)
Ez a csillagromboló mindenkit sz-e-r-e-t... (Krzystof Aaron Hasselhoff)
...kivéve a csillagokat... (David Marcellus Hasselhoff)
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

# Hopkins, ex-adviser DiBella despise each other
By beating Jermain Taylor, Bernard Hopkins also would strike a blow against his former adviser and Taylor promoter Lou DiBella.
By Dan Rafael

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=2108467

Two weeks after the 9/11 attacks on the United States, Hopkins shocked the Madison Square Garden crowd by knocking out Trinidad in the 12th round to become the first undisputed middleweight champ since Marvelous Marvin Hagler in the 1980s.

DiBella cried tears of joy at ringside. A few days later, as a thank you for what DiBella had done for his career, Hopkins presented him with gloves he said he wore in the Trinidad fight.

DiBella was deeply touched by the gesture.

It was their last happy moment together.

DiBella, with his golden reputation in doubt, sued Hopkins for libel and defamation in a nasty, highly emotionally-charged trial. During the trial, DiBella was stunned to learn during testimony from Hopkins that the gloves he had presented DiBella with were not the authentic fight-worn mitts. Hopkins had given him the backup pair.

It was just one more dagger to DiBella's heart.

# DiBella v. Hopkins
By Thomas Hauser

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/thoma ... v-hopkins1

Lou DiBella has won a $610,000 libel judgment against Bernard Hopkins in a jury trial in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. DiBella's lawsuit was filed in December 2001, shortly after Hopkins accused him of soliciting and accepting a $50,000 bribe while DiBella was still a senior vice president at HBO Sports.

The jury's verdict was a significant victory and marked the end of a long and winding road for DiBella. For Hopkins, one of the great fighters in ring history, there is damaged credibility and a large chunk of money won in the ring has been lost.

DiBella and Hopkins joined forces as advisor and fighter on a handshake agreement in early 2000, two months after "The Executioner" received $100,000 for defending his IBF middleweight title against Antwun Echols. With DiBella's support, Hopkins made $525,000 for a May 2000 defense against Syd Vanderpool and $650,000 for a December 2000 rematch against Echols. Then, in 2001, DiBella engineered Hopkins's entry into Don King's middleweight championship tournament. For that bit of business, Hopkins received $1,000,000 for fighting Keith Holmes, $2,750,000 for fighting Felix Trinidad, $50,000 in expenses for each fight, and a $200,000 signing bonus. In sum, before DiBella, Hopkins was an extremely talented fighter with limited name recognition who rarely made big money. With DiBella in his camp, he became a star.

DiBella believed in Hopkins. Sitting in Madison Square Garden moments before Bernard was to enter the ring for his historic bout against Trinidad, DiBella declared, "Tonight is important to my company financially, but it's hugely important to me personally because Bernard will always be hugely important to me. I cherish the relationship I have with Bernard."

But once Hopkins beat Trinidad, he figured he didn't need DiBella anymore. So he dumped him. If Hopkins had simply said, "Lou did a good job, but I don't want to work with him in the future," DiBella would have been hurt and angry, but there wouldn't have been a lawsuit. However, Hopkins went further. In late December 2001, stung by media criticism that he was an ingrate, he gave an interview to internet writer Steve Kim in which he accused DiBella of demanding and receiving a $50,000 bribe to put him on HBO at a time when DiBella was still employed by HBO.

# http://www.boxinginsider.com/biofiles/lou-dibella/

First Job: “Messenger, no, no. Actually, I grew up in a 99% Jewish neighborhood and I was paid to turn on people’s air conditioners on Sabbath. Then I was a messenger around the World Trade Center (age 14).”
Most Painful Moment: “Reading Hopkins’ quotes in Steve Kim’s article (on maxboxing.com) is right up there, high on the list (DiBella later won a $610,000 libel judgement against Hopkins in United States District Court). The way things went down…my exit from HBO. I don’t want to get into the details. That blew a lot of my illusions about working with a major firm in America. The way I left, the prolonged nine months of leaving. Not something I want to talk about right now but someday maybe I’ll do a book.”
People Qualities Most Admired: “Honesty. Directness. I don’t like bullshit…and it seems to be everywhere. I like people who look you in the eye and tell you the truth, whatever it is. I don’t suffer stupid people very well. That’s a pet peeve of mine. There’s nothing worse than stupidity combined with a bad ethic!”
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

http://www.braggingrightscorner.com/AladdinDiBella.html

"A CONVERSATION WITH LOU DI BELLA"
By Aladdin Freeman
(a tartalom alapján 2002 vége felé keletkezett)
BRC: Lou, thanks for you views on the state of the sport; I know the readers will enjoy it. Let's switch topics and talk a little bit about the trial with Bernard Hopkins. Now it's well known that -and I can back it up by saying I haven't talked to a person in the sport from Al Mitchell, Shane Mosley, Bob Arum, Mickey Ward, James and Bouie Fisher and the list could go on and on- that has ever had a bad thing to say about you, including Bernard Hopkins right after the fight that made him a first ballot Hall of Famer; the first words out his mouth were “Thanks to Lou DiBella.” I guess I want to ask what happened? I mean, from the outside looking in it seemed that as soon as Hopkins won the Middleweight tournament and then broke Carlos Monzón’s record that he started to change. Now, I know he's had trouble with promoters, managers, and guys before, but it really did seem like when he went after you and the Fishers that he forgot his roots.

DiBella: I have to be honest, I think what you said is very accurate. I think he not only forgot his roots but he forgot any help he got along the way. He became incredibly self-centered, short sighted and basically his own worst enemy, something he was in the past. I truly thought in the last few years, if there was anything that I had accomplished while I had been working with Bernard, was to try and convince him to do what was best for him and his family and don't stand for principle when there is no principle involved. If you really have to stand for principle, then fine, do it, but when it's not needed don't do something stupid and then blame it on principle, and don't be your own worst enemy.

When you look at his dumping me, and libeling me, dumping Bouie Fisher and the whole Fisher family who have been nothing but wonderful to Bernard…I can't explain it…and I guess only Bernard can…I can firmly tell you this, nobody could have ever accomplished less and benefited less from a victory over Félix Trinidad than Bernard has done…He had the world in the palm of his hand when he stood in the ring with his team together and he destroyed all of it. Now, yeah I beat him in court -and I deserved to beat him in court- and I want to collect my money and I'm shocked by, not only Bernard's behavior, but I'm even more shocked by his lawyers and their lack of any kind of sense of right and wrong. It was an eye opening experience for me, but I'll tell you this, I'm not wasting my time or energy wishing bad things for Bernard Hopkins; he's already hurt himself worse than anyone could have hurt him and right now, I think he's a smart enough guy that if he takes the time and reflects back on the last couple of years of his life, he'll know he blew it.
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

( George Kimball
by Thomas Hauser
http://www.secondsout.com/usa-boxing-ne ... ht=kimball )

"When I first started writing boxing," Kimball says, "I knew virtually nothing about the business end of it. I'd enjoyed watching boxing on television, but that was the extent of my knowledge. I've now covered something like 330 world title fights. And I realize that understanding the business end of boxing is essential to understanding the rest of it."

HBO and the State of Boxing – Part One/Two/Three
By Thomas Hauser
(2010 november)

http://www.secondsout.com/features/main ... --part-one
http://www.secondsout.com/features/main ... --part-two
http://www.secondsout.com/columns/thoma ... part-three
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=29776

Ricardo Lopez Inspires In Speech
2009-11-18
By Boxing Bob Newman

Former 4-belt undefeated world champion Ricardo “Finito” Lopez inspired the attendees at the 88th WBA convention in Medellin, Colombia this afternoon with his life story. A slide show of Finito’s life in pictures and music was first shown to the crowd, after which, the champion took the microphone…

He went on to describe his visit to a boxing gym as a child and begging his father Magdeleno to be a boxer. “I was taken by the sights and sounds of this guy hitting the speed bag,” explained Lopez, mimicking the rapid fire sound of the bag culminating with a final “POW!” He started at seven years of age practicing in the family’s jewelry shop in Mexico City. His father bought him his first gloves, while his mother wasn’t happy with his decision to be a fighter. “She told me 99% of fighters end up with no money, brain damaged and without their friends.” I told her, “Mom, I could be different.” Lopez was later inspired, as scads of other boxers have no doubt been, by the movie “Rocky,” taking up the raw egg regimen made famous in the film. He also extolled the virtues of another role model, Mother Teresa of Calcutta. Lopez then explained his key to success in a word he learned- DISCIPLINE. “Discipline,” explained Lopez, “has three parts – dedication, responsibility and consistency.” That M.O. helped Lopez win the Golden Gloves in Mexico, but he opted out of an Olympic campaign, as he was told, “It only wins you medals, not money.” Early in his pro career, Lopez was visited in his dressing room after a fight by then legendary reigning champion Julio Cesar Chavez. “You can really fight!,” chimed Chavez. “I’m going to tell Don King about you.”

Eventually, Lopez traveled to Tokyo, Japan to face reining WBC strawweight champion Hideyuki Ohashi. As he was leaving the airport in Mexico bound for Tokyo, he noticed no members of the press were on hand to see him off. He found out later that he was deemed a sacrificial lamb for the tough Ohashi. He was advised to “Just go make your money,” and not be too concerned with actually winning the title. Upon arriving in Japan, Lopez felt great pressure. “I cried for I don’t know how long. My mother had passed away and I missed her. My father hadn’t arrived yet. My original trainer couldn’t travel with me because he was eighty years old. I felt very alone in this country.” At the weigh-ins, Lopez met Ohashi for the first time. At the time, this took place on fight day. After shaking hands, Lopez admitted shaking as he walked away. “It’s true, I was scared!” Afterwards in his hotel room, he prayed for a safe outcome for himself and Ohashi and went to the arena. At this point, the lights dimmed, as Lopez exclaimed, “Let’s not talk about it, let’s see what happened.” The convention attendees were then treated to history in the making as hilights of his title winning effort we played to a round of applause. “As I returned to the airport in Mexico, it was full of Mexican press! I was a champion of the world. But now I had to retain the title.”

Lopez explained he had to battle two enemies as a reigning champion, “the flatterer and the critic.” The flatterer, weakens you and you rest on your laurels if you listen long enough. The critic tries to make you believe your achievements were a stroke of luck.”

A highlight reel of Lopez’ defenses was then shown, punctuated by footage of his 2007 induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. “I never knew I would achieve all of this.” “Happiness is not being at the top of the mountain, it’s enjoying the climb, the work that gets you there.” Despite all his success in the ring, Lopez feels he is still on a path to happiness. “My work is not done. I go to hospitals to visit sick children. I talk against drug addiction.” Lopez credited the WBA for the organization’s K.O. Drugs program of the last twenty years.

In his presentation, moved on this his epic unification fight against WBA counterpart Rosendo Alvarez in Mexico City. By his own admission, Lopez was on top of the world, the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world. His ego had gotten to him. In the second round, Lopez was caught with a titanic right hand and dropped for the first time in his career. Making echoing sounds, Lopez explained how badly he was hurt. Relying on his instincts Lopez survived, only to be further damaged by Alvarez’ head, suffering severe cuts to his eyes and forehead. The fight was stopped in the eighth due to the cuts and ended in a technical draw. The Mexican press crucified him, “If this is the best fighter in the world, who is the worst?” “I went back home and watched the tape of the fight. During the national anthem, I realized that I was thinking about how I was the best fighter in the world, instead of my normal routine of going through the fight plans. That was my downfall.” After viewing hilights of that fight as well as the rematch, which Lopez won on a split decision, Lopez closed with his analysis of his path traveled and that which he has yet to travel.

“My father has old fashioned ideas. He was always first to criticize me. He said ‘Men never cry.’ We often argued.” After reading George Barnard Shaw’s “Pigmalion,” Lopez found the line he had wanted to tell his father. “The man who changes his actions, grows, the man who doesn’t is a failure.” My father told me, “Two things, it’s easier for me to stay the same than to change. Secondly, tell Mr. Shaw to go f*ck his mother!” Laughter rocks the hall.

Lopez decided to retire after he noticed his reaction time was slowing, but his faculties intact. “I saved money from the ring for my family. I didn’t want to be a great champion in a psychiatric hospital.”

At the end of his talk, Lopez took questions from the audience regarding his endeavors now, trying to help drug addicts, sick children. Ricardo Lopez does boxing color commentary in Mexico and one day hopes to finish his degree in university. He finished his career in the ring with a stellar record of 51-0-1, 38 KOs.
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

WNB írtaCOLON#########
2002...még a réges régi fórum (még a zárt változat) publikus Teszt-topikjába írtam vmit anno a Kótai-Gare meccsel kapcsolatban (~Elektromos-csarnok)...nekem nincs meg lementve, úgyhogy még akár meg is csalhatnak az emlékek...amik szerint egy Kátéra hasonlító fiatal emberalak a lelátó tetején, a büfé környékén kavargó tömegben elhaladva egyszercsak odaköszön egy idősebb, és persze számomra akkor nyilván teljesen ismeretlen emberalakok alkotta kicsi, de annál szenvedélyesebbnek látszó (~"Misikém, megy a bal!") csoportnak..."Csókolom, Misi bá."
A web.archive-ból előkerült ez...és talán nem tiszteletlenség egészben idézni.

http://web.archive.org/web/200206080445 ... hu/discus/

Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 01:21 am
[Paja kolléga a Kótai-Gare kapcsán]

"Mellesleg a meccsen ott ülõk nagyon azt hangoztatták hogy bunda volt...:/"
"Én nem tudom sem megcáfolni,sem megerõsíteni ezt a bunda dolgot!Én csak ezt hallottam olyasvalakitõl,aki ott volt a meccsen,bár valóban nem nagy boxszakértõ,hanem csak koca-boxnézõ!
De õ(k) állítják,hogy ott kint ilyen volt a hangulat,és ezt susmusolták!"

Paja!

Bár józan túlélõként magam sem tudom "sem megcáfolni, sem megerõsíteni ezt a bunda dolgot", engedj meg néhány - a személyes tapasztalatok (thx kvízjáték, thx mr.prof!) megingathatlannak látszó dór oszlopain nyugvó - észrevételt.

Képzeld el egy nagyon nehéz, nagyon hosszú és nagyon meleg nap még melegebb éjszakáját - hiába a nyitott ablakok, amint belépsz a csarnokba bunda nélkül is letaglóz az "ún. bunda-szag". Amint épp Mihály meccsére beesve elfoglaltam jól megérdemelt (álló)helyemet az élet dzsungelében - a büfé elõtt, ez az egész bunda-hangulat csak még fokozottabban és karakterisztikusabban jelentkezett - fent a lelátó mögötti közlekedõn, ahol az igazán bennfentesek gyülekeztek, akik a jól értesültek nyugalmával kortyolták sörüket a meccs közben is, mint akik elõre tudják az eredményt(?!?):))...

A leggyanúsabb csoport (közvetlen mellettem) egy démonian konspiratív triász volt: két hetven körüli bácsi - orruk nyergén ott ült a bokszmúlt - és "a nõ". Falból (mi másért?) 10 (vagy csak 5?) másodpercenként, egyenletes tempót tartva ordították be, hogy "Misi! Megy a bal!" - hol a nõ, hol az egyik bácsi, átlátszóan álságos lelkeseddéssel, a mindent látottak derûs szkepszisével a hangjukban; míg a másik bácsi néha tárgyilagos kinyilatkoztatásokat tett: "jó ez a néger gyerek, figyeld, meg most meg fogja nyomni", "a Misi nagyon sokat üt, de nem igazán talál - védi a fekete gyerek" [a fejtetõre mért széles horgokról]. De aztán hirtelen váltva másra kezdtek figyelni, heves integetésbe kezdtek, valaki közeledett lentrõl (a meccs közben!), és nem sokára fel is bukkant a "Don", egy valószínûtlenül alacsony, szintén 70-en túli bácsi, utat vágva a tömegben közel furakodott, a másik szomszéd csapatból egy fiatal srác oda is köszönt: "csókolom, Misi bá'" [ok, a csókolom lehet hogy nem volt, viszont passzol a történetbe:)]. Misi bá' egyáltalában nem foglalkozott a mérkõzéssel - rövid és tényszerû megbeszélésben rögzítette a csapat többi tagjával a meccs utáni találkozás helyét, módját és az azt követõ fröccsözés körülményeit, majd a maga csendességében továbbindult a büfépult felé. Az ismerõs srác még szemtelenül próbálkozott, kis kaján mosollyal az arcán: "Misi bá', itt nem tartanak bort!', de Misi bá' szenvtelenül csak annyit felelt: "Csak szörpöt akarok.", és eltûnt.

Lehet, hogy ekkor vitte a megbeszélt összeget a megbeszélt helyre, a megbeszéltek szerint!?!

Szóval, lehet hogy tényleg bunda volt?!?!?

Tanulság: sose hagyd magad befolyásolni azon kétes ("másodrendû") szavahihetõségû barátaid által, akik titokban a Blikket is tudósítják és a meccs helyett csak a táblavivõ lányok becserkészése tudja lekötni szabad agyi kapacitásikat (ami a rágó rágása mellett fennmarad :))...
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

http://www.monokli.com/boxing/news/rovi ... _3712.html

Menyhart [2008-02-06 10:42:31]

„Mély megrendüléssel fogadtuk a hírt, mely szerint 82 éves korában elhunyt Fogarasi Mihály, Misi Bácsi, aki eredményei mellett edzői tevékenységével is segítette a magyar ökölvívást!”
Talán csak a család, néhány 30 évnél idősebb-, sokmeccses bunyós és a szűkebb bokszberkek számára jelent hírt ez a pár sor sajnos. A fiatalabb bunyósok legfeljebb annyit mondanak, ha hallottak idősebb társaiktól valamit Misi Bácsiról, hogy „tudod az a kis törékeny öreg, állítólag jó edző volt…” A boksz-szakmán kívüliek pedig semmit sem tudnak sem életéről, sem haláláról, nem hallhattak egy Igazi Legendáról, fogalmuk sincs Róla és sajnos mi magunk is méltatlanul keveset foglalkozunk/foglalkoztunk azzal az EMBER-rel, akinek elhivatottsága és embersége mindenki számára követendő és példaértékű lenne!
Egy 34 éves kőkemény bunyós vagyok, de a sorok írása alatt is hullanak könnyeim. Nem csak azért, mert ismertem, mert foglalkozott velem, mert talán velem töltötte el életének legtöbb idejét mint sportolóval, hanem azért fáj nagyon, mert nincs többé és nem hittem el sosem, hogy megtörténhet, ami persze 82 év elteltével természetesen megtörténhet! De számomra valahogy úgy tűnt, hogy Misi Bácsi örökké ott lesz velünk aktívan vagy szemlélődőként, de mindig ott lesz! Hihetetlen űrt jelentene a sport számára, ha legalább emléke életben tartásával nem lehetne jelen köztünk. Sajnos a mai média és a rohanó-, emberséget nélkülöző kor nem kíváncsi valós értékekre…
Hiába volt többszörös Magyar Bajnok akkor, amikor ez még komoly eredménynek számított; hiába volt Balkán „Olimpia” bajnoka egyedüli magyarként, aki ezt a címet megszerezte; hiába volt a válogatott edzője; hiába fedezett fel és edzett világ- és olimpiai bajnokokat; hiába foglalkozott és nevelt több-ezer embert… Misi Bá nem lehet jelen ebben a mai médiavilágban, mert őt megismerni felszínesen, 2 percben, egy headline-ban nem lehet. Az EMBER-t bemutatni nem elég pár perc.
18 évvel ezelőtt találkoztam vele először majdnem akkor, amikor kezdtem a bunyót. Pont ugyanúgy nézett ki, ugyanúgy foglalkozott tanítványaival, ugyanolyan lendülettel és hévvel vett részt az életben, mint akár 2-3 évvel ezelőtt. Nem láttam még embert, aki ennyi energiával rendelkezett volna, és aki ezt az energiát bele is fektette volna valamibe. Misi Bá ilyen volt. Nem volt ember, akihez ne lett volna szava, akinek ne akart volna segíteni. Rajongott a bunyóért, a sportért, de legfőbbképpen az emberekért. Sokan voltak, akik számára teher volt energiája és őszinte szavai, de rengetegen voltak, akik szerették és még többen azok, akik ha tudnak róla, ha nem, akkor is sokat köszönhetnek neki.
1998-2006 foglalkozott velem. Minden nap, amikor mentem ott állt mellettem és folyamatosan tanácsokkal látott el. Sokat fel is tudtam használni még akkor is, hogy ekkor már menő bunyós voltam, de már versenyezni nem nagyon akartam. Reggeltől estig a teremben volt. Néha belealudt az edzésbe nagy kerek napszemüvege mögött, de 1-2 perc és újra széles-, kaján mosollyal tanított mindenkit tovább. Naplót vezetett, amelyben nyilvántartás és edzésterv volt. Mindenkiről vezetett mindent, látni akarta a fejlődést, látni a hibákat, hogy segíthessen. Odaadása rendkívüli és egyedi. Volt, hogy csak nagyon későn értem le a terembe és már a villamosnál volt, amikor találkoztunk, ment hazafelé a gyerekekkel. Meglátott és azt mondta: „visszamegyek veled Lacikám”… belém karolt és együtt visszamentünk. Mondtam neki, hogy nem szükséges, inkább pihenjen, de ő erre azt válaszolta: „Ha ötmilliót ajánlanának, hogy menjek haza, akkor is visszamennék inkább, aljas lennék, ha nem tenném így!” És ez nem a „megszépítő messzeség” és a „halottról jót vagy semmit”, hanem ez így történt…nem is egyszer. Visszajött velem és még több mint 2 órán keresztül edzettünk. Majd este 9 után sötétben, szélben, hóviharban, esőben belém karolva mentünk haza.
Sorozatokat ütetett velem. Úgy vélte, hogy az ismétlés, a szorgalom mindenek felett. Ha megnézzük Káté Gyuszit – akit szintén ő nevelt ki -, akkor igazolást adhatunk neki. Számolta a sorozatokat…csak bal, bal-jobb, bal-bal-jobb, bal-jobb-bal horog, bal-jobb-bal felütés, két felütés 1 horog, 2 felütés 2 horog, 4 felütés 1 horog…mindből 100!!! Végigszámolta. Néha belezavarodott és ilyenkor kaján mosollyal kérdezte: „Hol is tartunk, Lacikám, harmincas?” Persze már volt 60-70 is, de azt válaszoltam: „Igen Misi Bá”. El sem mozdult mellőlem csak akkor, amikor körbenézett és látta, hogy valakivel nem foglalkozik a többi edző, vagy ha valaki tanácsra szorult. Mindenkit bíztatott. „á, ma nem ment Misi Bá”, erre ő: „aki ennél jobbat akar, egye meg a szart, de az ember nem gép”, majd felágaskodott, lehúzta fejemet és puszit adott a fejtetőmre úgy, mint a gyerekeknek szokta, pedig az utolsó ilyen esetnél 32 is elmúltam. Ha valaki nagyon ügyetlen volt és sokan nevettek rajta, akkor mindig ezt mondta a nevetőknek: „Inkább itt legyen, mint a kocsmában”. És még több energiát tett abba, akinek kevésbé ment. És ez így ment reggeltől-estig, nap mint nap, éveken, évtizedeken keresztül. Lehetett farkasordító hideg, vagy gatyarohasztó meleg Ő akkor is ott volt. Nyáron póló, vászonnadrág/farmer és sportcipő. Télen vászonnadrág, sportcipő, ing, zakó és nagykabát. A nagy fény zavarta és ilyenkor nagy, keres napszemüveget tett fel. Mindig mosolygott. Nem sztárokat akart nevelni, hanem sportszerető embereket. Egy banketten ültünk, az emberek beszélgettek, Misi Bá gondolkodott, felállt, ütött egy sorozatot, leült és leírta. Sokan mosolyogtak, de ez az elhivatottság, ez az a fajta imádat és nagyság, amellyel csak nagyon kevesen rendelkeznek. Számára csak a bunyó és az emberek léteztek minden érdek nélkül. Csak ezek a dolgok éltették. Hiába volt már járása nehezebb és egyre jobban kapaszkodott belém hazafelé, elszántsága semmit sem csökkent az évek alatt, harcos volt ringen belül és kívül egyaránt. A metrón, buszon, villamoson utazva a kapaszkodón végzett izometriás, erőnövelő gyakorlatokat, mindene volt a sport és az élet, nem hagyott ki egy másodpercet sem, kihasznált minden időt, minden lehetőséget arra, amit fontosnak tartott. Edzőtársak között mindig azt találgattuk vajon mennyi idős lehet, mert eddig bárkivel is találkoztunk mindenki azt mondta, hogy Misi Bá már ilyen idős volt mindig. Ezért sem hittem el, amikor meghallottam a hírt. Sajnos nagy hibát követtem el, ugyanis az utolsó 1 másfél évében nem látogattam meg. Máshol tartott edzést és rengeteg melóm volt, de nem ez a fő ok. Sokat gondoltam rá és testvéremmel megbeszéltük, hogy meg kéne látogatni, de igazán nem hittem el, hogy eltűnhet örökre, nem hittem hogy itt fog hagyni mindent és mindenkit, valahogy öröknek éreztem Őt. Sajnos ő is egy ember, de magassága ellenére nagy EMBER. Rengeteg történetre emlékszem a 18 év ismeretség alatt és a nagyon szoros 8-9 év napi kapcsolat miatt, de talán nem is ez a lényeg, hanem az hogy emlékezzünk rá és jusson el minél többekhez milyen volt Ő.
A végső búcsúnál is valószínűleg csóválni fogja majd a fejét az elvesztegetett, edzésből kiesett időnk miatt és azt mondaná, hogy ”idő, tízes menet jön, még van három”. Nagy harcos volt az élet minden területén, aki legutolsó harcát is megvívta és győzelemmel került ki belőle, mert sosem fogom elfelejteni barátomat, edzőmet.: Jó utat bármerre is jár, Drága Misi Bá!”

#########
2002...még a réges régi fórum (még a zárt változat) publikus Teszt-topikjába írtam vmit anno a Kótai-Gare meccsel kapcsolatban (~Elektromos-csarnok)...nekem nincs meg lementve, úgyhogy még akár meg is csalhatnak az emlékek...amik szerint egy Kátéra hasonlító fiatal emberalak a lelátó tetején, a büfé környékén kavargó tömegben elhaladva egyszercsak odaköszön egy idősebb, és persze számomra akkor nyilván teljesen ismeretlen emberalakok alkotta kicsi, de annál szenvedélyesebbnek látszó (~"Misikém, megy a bal!") csoportnak..."Csókolom, Misi bá."
Erwin
TEAM PKSZ
HozzászólásokCOLON 3066
Tartózkodási helyCOLON Répcelak

Hozzászólás Szerző: Erwin »

Én azt nem tudom eldönteni, hogy Lewis ilyen hülye (már bocsánat), vagy csak ennyire hülyének próbál nézni pár embert. Én inkább az utóbbira tippelnék (az viszont eléggé gáz, ha el is hiszik neki), mert annyira azért csak nincs magától elszállva, hogy elhiggye ezt az HBO-s dolgot. Vagy van még egy lehetőség, hogy mindkét fél tökéletesen tisztában van vele, hogy ennek a legkisebb realitása sincs, csak a médiát - és azon keresztül az olvasókat - próbálják szépen megetetni.
Romsy
TEAM PKSZ
HozzászólásokCOLON 3201
CsatlakozottCOLON 2003-04-30 18:09:16
Tartózkodási helyCOLON Atlantic City, NJ
CONTACTCOLON

Hozzászólás Szerző: Romsy »

Ennek a kókler moose lewisnak mi köze a Slimtraxhoz?
Már azt is viccesnek tartottam, hogy amerikai fizetős csatornán akarja adni néhánynak a meccsét, de most már olyat olvasok, hogy Szűcs Laci meccseire a HBO-nál is lenne érdeklődés szerinte...
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

=> http://adnanserinforever.tripod.com/

Headquarters of the Adnan Serin Appreciation Society

Hello. The Adnan Serin Appreciation Society is just getting off the ground here, but until we have some more content available for you to enjoy, here is an Adnan Serin skin for Winamp 2.x and xmms created by our president, Mr. Julius Horvath. You may contact him via email at adnanserinkicksass at operamail dot com. (A partial screenshot of the skin is below.)

http://adnanserinforever.tripod.com/ser ... p-skin.zip
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

(A cikk nem teljesen hibátlanul méri fel az IBU fórumon anno élő és alkotó Roman Nikodem és Julius Horvath valós nézőpontját...de ettől függetlenül jó. :))

=> http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-a ... wanna-buy/

HEY DUDE - WANNA BUY A RANKING? BETTER YET, WANNA BUY

By Charles Jay

The 44th Round

As a public service, it's my obligation to turn your attention to the following news flash, re-posted "as-is":

PRESS RELEASE
Effective Immediately

For More Information, contact: Don "Moose" Lewis, President
International Boxing Union, Inc.
@ 404/ 365-0177
or fax 775/ 458-8685
email office@IBUboxing.com

Corporate Office Announces International Boxing Union To Be Sold !

(Atlanta, Georgia) (March 17, 2003)- Don "Moose" Lewis, President of the
International Boxing Union, known as "the IBU", is pleased to announce that
effective immediately bids are being taken for the sale of complete ownership of
the corporation.

The IBU, a Georgia "for profit" corporation, was formed in 1995 and incorporated
in 1997. Since that time, it has conducted championship fights in the United
States, the Bahamas, Finland, Germany, and other countries around the world.
Past and current champions include Stephan Johnson, Adnan Serin, Rachid Matumla,
Dirk Wallyn, Peter Manfredo Jr., and Ray Oliveira. Upcoming IBU World
Championship fights include boxers such as Richie LaMontagne, Gary Balleto, and
Scott Pemberton.

"The IBU is making a great impact on the championship boxing scene. With
upcoming fights in world renown venues such as Hartwell Auditorium in Helsinki,
Finland and Foxwoods Casino in Connecticut along with televised fights on ESPN2
and NESN (New England Sports Network), the timing could not be better for
someone to take over and continue the growth of the IBU. The groundwork has
been laid in the boxing scene and with the IBU being a sanctioning body
recognized by the Association of Boxing Commissions, thousands of dollars and
hours could be saved with the purchase of an established entity such as us."
states the President of the IBU. "Selling the IBU after all these years is a
tough decision" continues Mr. Lewis "but with the opportunity to lead a new
weekly syndicated boxing television show into the marketplace, a hard choice had
to be made. Rather than try to maintain partial ownership, I felt that for the
IBU to become a player in boxing, a complete divesture was necessary. However,
with the new television show, I will still be close to the sport." Operations
will continue as usual until a suitable bid is accepted. Offers can be sent by
fax, email, or postal mail. Included in the sale is the domain website and all
inventory of championship belts and merchandise.

For more information on the IBU, please contact the corporate office.

This proposal, I presume, is open to one and all. As for the price, it's probably like one of those cars you see in the Auto Trader; you know, "$2000 OBO (or best offer)". Before you send a bid - by fax, email, or postal mail, as is prescribed, make sure you carefully weigh many factors, including the "goodwill" created by the organization over the years.

And consider that the "World Heavyweight Champion" is Adnan Serin, who:

* Was 8-1 as a pro when he fought for his "title"
* At that time had scored his pro wins over fighters with a combined record of 14-150
* Won a six-round decision in his most recent fight
* Is currently ranked 262nd in the world by our friends over at BoxRec.com

With those credentials, potential suitors of the IBU could no doubt bring Lennox Lewis, Chris Byrd, Roy Jones and Corrie Sanders to their knees.

Like anyone contemplating the purchase of a piece of property, if you want to be an educated consumer you should understand that the IBU is a little bit of a "fixer-upper". You'll have to make a couple of improvements here and there.

For example, you'll have to sit down and have a long talk with Razor Ruddock. According to the November 2002 ratings, the most recent the IBU has posted in public view, "Jemery" Williams is the #1 contender in the heavyweight world, while the top ten includes such luminaries as Ahmet Oner, Rob Calloway, Julius Francis, and Monte Barrett. If Williams isn't "available" to fight for the heavyweight crown, I'm guessing the call would go out to 41-year-old Ray Mercer, who despite his knockout loss at the hands of Wladimir Klitschko, did not disappoint enough to be dropped from the #2 position.

Where does Ruddock come in, you ask? Well, according to the comments at the bottom of the ratings (which I assume passes for "compliance" under the Ali Act), Monte Barrett's presence is explained in the following manner:

"Monte Barrett replaces 'Razor' Ruddock, who does not wish to be ranked at this time."

"DOES NOT WISH TO BE RANKED AT THIS TIME."

We can't be having any of that now, can we?

On the positive side, you WILL be inheriting some very loyal IBU fans. Sample this message, posted on the IBU "Fans' Forum" after the Jones-Ruiz fight, from someone named "Roman Nikkodem", who obviously has a very unique point of view:

"After watching Jones's performance tonight, I like Serin by mid-rounds KO. Jones may be slightly faster than Adnan, but Serin is quicker than Ruiz and has better footwork. He'll be able to box Jones more effectively in the center of the ring, and when he gets Jones caught on the ropes or in the corner, he's going to be able to keep him there and pile up the points. By about round 4 Jones is going to realize what kind of trouble he's in, and by round 6 or 7 this fight is going to be over -- and we will have a new era in boxing."

Another avid poster, who went by the name of "Julius Horvath", made these points:

"Jones has just stepped up to the division, so I think it would be somewhat early for him by now to fight the undisputed king of heavyweights. I would suggest first some tune-up fights against other well-recognized fighters, like for example Dirk Wallijn or Jukka Jarvinen, and if he can beat them, then a unification match with Serin can come to reality. Still, I don't think Jones could cope with the champ's superior talent, speed and intelligence, so my pick is Serin by KO in 5-6 rounds.

A case can certainly be made that Roy should have to battle his way to the top. Jones vs. either Wallijn or Jarvinen would be a spectacular fight, and a stern test of Jones's mettle. If Roy can make it past both Rambo and the Sledgehammer, then there should be absolutely no doubt that he's qualified to take on the biggest of the big guns of the division."

So you see, as an added bonus, you'll get insight on the boxing game you certainly can't find anywhere else.

Consider also that the IBU quite obviously complies with all of the age discrimination laws. It must, because fighters over the age of 40, or approaching it, are strategically placed in the upper levels of the rankings, in easy reach of championship opportunities. Let's see, besides Mercer, we've got Uriah Grant (age 41) as the #3 cruiserweight, 40-year-old Vinny Pazienza as the #4 super middleweight, with 39-year-old Tony Ayala Jr. right behind him, 42-year-old Manning Galloway in the #5 junior middleweight slot, Julio Cesar Chavez (soon to be 40) clinging to the #2 position at 140 pounds, and Jesus Salud (age 39) as #3 at junior featherweight.

Tony Tubbs, at age 44, was the #3 heavyweight in the "Intercontinental" ratings, based on, in the IBU's words, "A strong win against Michael Shanks."

Shanks, who is from my area, was 1-7 as a professional when he fought Tubbs. He's currently 2-12.

Guty Espadas is the #6 featherweight, although it's not specified whether that's Guty Espadas Senior or Junior.

At any rate, this process undoubtedly comes with AARP approval.

Here's the downside, though - if you indeed inherit the IBU, you just might have to deal with the protests of Larry Holmes, Thomas Hearns, Donnie Lalonde, Tim Witherspoon, Gene Fullmer, Max Schmeling, et al, who could argue that they too should be able to qualify for rankings based on this criteria. So don't disregard at least some possible legal expense.

There are a couple of other things potential buyers may want to take into account:

In the Intercontinental cruiserweight rankings, Ghana's Joseph Awinongya is listed as both the #1 AND #4 contender. I haven't read the IBU rules in their entirety, but I imagine that if Mike Peak (#2) and Damon Reed (#3) were unavailable, Awinongya could conceivably fight HIMSELF for the title, which is listed as "vacant". That's bound to be an attraction, not to mention a great publicity tool, in ANY corner of the civilized world. Imagine - the most significant shadow-boxing session in the history of the sport. That's box-office magic.

Oh, another thing - the junior featherweight and junior bantamweight rankings are EXACTLY the same. You may want to deal with that.

No biggie. Just put it on your "to-do" list.

Before you do that, though, digest this: according to the IBU website, "All rankings are based on the best available computerized data." That is not a misprint. I just don't know how old their computer is. All I can tell you is that it's called the "Commodore 64". Perhaps there's some patented ratings formula we've failed to recognize. That might make this deal REALLY special.

I hate to give you the hard sell, but there's a value-added part of this deal that deserves to be mentioned - something called the "Den of Carnage", a gym run in conjunction with the IBU's "sister" association, the International Wrestling Union. Listen to the description:

"Come join the only professional wrestling training center that matters -- The IWU/IBU Den Of Carnage. In the Den, our trainers will push you beyond your limitations in order to make a champion out of your pathetic carcass. Your weaknesses will became your strengths and your strengths will in turn, make you a winner. Do you want a career in boxing instead? No problem- our trainers will try to make you the next Holyfield or Lewis-provided you have the talent and internal fortitude."

You see, with control of the gym and the ratings, you can provide both training AND job placement to any boxer under your auspices.

This is simply to attractive to pass up.

If you need more enlightenment to aid you in your buying decision, let me offer the following:

In the state of Georgia, where the IBU is incorporated, it costs $15 to renew your corporation on a yearly basis.

Since we are about one-quarter of the way through the calendar year, it might make sense to pro-rate the figure, I guess, to the point where the more accurate value to place on that corporate status is $11.25.

So if you're getting ready to enter the bidding for the IBU, at least you've got someplace to start.

fightpage@totalaction.com
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

(Azért van ebben az emberben vmi zsenialitas...amit más szóval esetleg lehetne a gagyiban való gátlások nélküli, szenvedélyes, fantáziadús túrkálás elvitathatatlan képességének is nevezni. Azért persze nincs benne olyan finom érzékenység, mint a Johny Depp féle Ed Woodban...még ha esetleg titokban hord is fehér női angórapulóvert.)

# http://www.network54.com/Forum/10266/me ... rian+email

Free Translation Forum
hungarian email by moose lewis

translate please-

Az Ön által a kisstoto@freemail.hu címre küldött levél
megérkezett és megjelent a címzett számítógépén.
Idõpont: 2006. október 25, szerda, 14:56:09

Az üzenet fejléce:

Dátum: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:00:24 -0400
Feladó: "moose" <office@ifufighting.com>
Címzett: kisstoto@freemail.hu
Tárgy: telephone

Posted on Oct 25, 2006, 9:12 AM

# http://thecrusade.net/forums/lofiversio ... t4031.html

"Moose" Lewis, Managing Member of America’s African Idol, LLC, proudly announces the launch of the reality television show, “America’s African Idol” to begin airing in October 2004. Auditions for talent will begin in August 2004 beginning in Atlanta, Georgia and continuing in thirty-one (31) additional cities across the United States. Pre-registration begins immediately States Mr. Lewis, “After reviewing reality shows being broadcast on television, I saw African-American talent not only being neglected but also somewhat mistreated. African-American music has three (3) separate categories-HipHop, Gospel, and Rhythm & Blues. I feel that not giving each of these groups their own competition put potential recording artists at an unfair advantage in seeking to further their career-thus, the launching of “America’s African Idol” ! I am looking forward to seeing the multitude of talent being showcased on a fair basis.” In additional to the three (3) categories, there will also be a “Youth Division” for talent ages eight ( 8 ) years to fifteen (15) years in order for them to compete against their peers. All winners in each city, region, and finals receive cash prizes with the ultimate “America’s African Idol” receiving not only a cash prize of $5000.00 and a record recording contract, but also an expense paid trip for two (2) to Africa.

MOD:

[Ha mondjuk holnaptól csak a minimum dandártábornoki rangban sétálók élnének túl egy rendkívül fertőző és rendkívül halálos betegséget, és mindehhez már kevés lenne, hogy vki simán csak "elnök", akkor szerintem ő lenne az az ember, aki valószínűleg 00 óra 01 perctől már rendelkezne a szükséges oklevelekkel és egyenruhákkal. Déltől rendelkezésre állna a tanfolyami anyag, amiben a távoli földrészeken élő érdeklődő népek egyből megtudhatnák, hogy hogyan válhatnak gyakorlatilag 24 órán belül dandártábornokká [belépők: $2000(VIP), $10, $2, $0.25], este 8-ra pedig elkészülnének a licenszelhető dandártábornoki kitek tájékoztató anyagai is (oklevél-szett, tábori és kimenő-ruházat, kard), aminek segítségével - egészen méltányos díj ellenében - (a tájékoztató anyag szerint) "a világ minden táján elismert dandártábornoki minősítést" szerezhet a tisztelt üzleti partner, akinek dandártábornoki avatóünnepségén egy-egy távoli kontinensen, szerény költségtérítés fejében, sok esetben maga Don Moose Lewis töltené be a supervisori tisztet - feltéve, hogy az adott helyszínen megfelelő színvonalú a bérhosztesz-felhozatal.]
A hozzászólást 2007 alkalommal szerkesztették, utoljára 1 WNB-kor.
Romsy
TEAM PKSZ
HozzászólásokCOLON 3201
CsatlakozottCOLON 2003-04-30 18:09:16
Tartózkodási helyCOLON Atlantic City, NJ
CONTACTCOLON

Hozzászólás Szerző: Romsy »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ekkora bohócot :D :D :D :D :D
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Errr...

please tell me rates, specialties, and do you come to my hotel?...

...but please do not ever forget: "You can screw a sheep, you can screw a chicken, but you cannot screw a moose!"

:)
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

nem tok leallni, nem tok leallni...

=> http://www.piroslampa.net/piros.php?lan ... c&from=110

moose lewis 2006. Mar. 23. 22:36 | #167

I will be coming to Budapest on April 6 for a boxing event-looking for younger girl who speaks some english-please tell me rates, specialties, and do you come to my hotel?

i can email picture. my email is moose@USApresents.com

Thank you,

Moose Lewis

Atlanta, Georgia, USA

=> http://rosszlanyok.hu/girl.php?page=forum&id=89&tol=100

97. moose 2006-03-23 23:40:18

i will be in budapest on april 6 and would like to know your rates and specialties. moose@USApresents.com

moose lewis
atlanta, georgia, usa
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

=> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mypanties ... ce=1&var=1

From office@... Thu Apr 03 11:35:19 2003
Return-Path: <office@...>
X-Sender: office@...
X-Apparently-To: mypantiesandme@yahoogroups.com
Received: (EGP: mail-8_2_6_5); 3 Apr 2003 19:35:18 -0000
Received: (qmail 15217 invoked from network); 3 Apr 2003 19:35:18 -0000
Received: from unknown (66.218.66.216)
by m6.grp.scd.yahoo.com with QMQP; 3 Apr 2003 19:35:18 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO n3.grp.scd.yahoo.com) (66.218.66.86)
by mta1.grp.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; 3 Apr 2003 19:35:17 -0000
Received: from [66.218.67.133] by n3.grp.scd.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 03 Apr 2003 19:35:17 -0000
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 19:35:17 -0000
To: mypantiesandme@yahoogroups.com
Subject: model for espn friday nite fights

Message-ID: <b6i2dl+vuh8@eGroups.com>
User-Agent: eGroups-EW/0.82
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Length: 302
X-Mailer: Yahoo Groups Message Poster
X-Originating-IP: 65.81.135.238
X-Yahoo-Group-Post: member; u=129794107
X-Yahoo-Profile: iwumoose

hi-we are going to be the main event on espn2 on friday nite may 2
and i am looking for model to join me for the weekend and accompany
me at the weighin and the championship title fight.
expenses paid and daily rate to be negotiated.
the event is at foxwoods casino in connecticut.
www.IBUboxing.com

=> http://profiles.yahoo.com/iwumoose?warn=1

Basics

Yahoo! ID:
iwumoose
Don Moose Lewis
Nickname:
Moose
Marital Status:
Separated
Sex:
Male
Television Sports Executive

More About Me

Hobbies:
sports and movies
Latest News:
We are presently casting for our latest movie, Down for the Count! to be shot in March 2003. This is a classic erotic horror flick that will be filmed in 3 versions-R, X, and XXX.
Favorite Quote:
You can screw a sheep, you can screw a chicken, but you cannot screw a moose!

Interests

* Autographs

* Advice

Links

Home Page:
www.SportsMooseProductions.com
Cool Links:
No cool link specified
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Ide is érdemes elrakni...

=> (Don Moose "Ed Wood" Lewis: Plan 9 from Outer Space Reloaded)

Posted: Thurs, Oct 20, 2005 at 14:36:14 (EDT)
Original: NA
Posted by: moose lewis Recipient: All
Email Address: office@ibu.net
Browser Type: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
Message Count: 79 visits (1 today, 1 this week, 2 this month, 11 this year)
IP Address: Decode-MO.SSJ.SB.WKK

Subject: movie

For More Information,
Sports Moose Productions, LLC
@ 404/ 808-9268
or fax 775/ 458-8685
email office@SportsMooseProductions.com

Sports Moose Productions Announces Shooting for Erotic Horror Flick!

(Atlanta, Georgia) (October 21, 2005)- Don 'Moose' Lewis, Managing Member of Sports Moose Productions, LLC, in Atlanta, Georgia, announces shooting will begin on February 18, 2006 for the original motion picture, 'Down For the Count!' , an erotic horror flick with live professional wrestling scenes included in the picture from professional wrestling organization, Xtreme Wrestling Union, a partner in the project. The majority of the film will be shot in Atlanta, Georgia with some scenes shot on location at beach locales.

'We are casting for a leading actress along with supporting actresses immediately!' stated 'Moose' Lewis. 'This is not your ordinary 'FFF'- femme fatale film-female actresses receive great parts and action in this movie. While this is targeted for a mature audience, this is much more than your ordinary 'flesh mongrel' film. You do not want to miss a single second of this once you sit down to watch it!'

Sports Moose Productions, LLC recently completed a year of producing a weekly television wrestling show for USA Networks Broadcast stations, named 'IWU Wrestling – The Max!' which produced weekly ratings higher than major sports events in the same time period. Production of the series was not renewed due to the stations being sold to the Spanish network, Univision. 'Moose' Lewis is also the President of International Boxing Union , Inc. -a world wide boxing sanctioning body in which professional boxers fight for World Championship Titles. Additional members of the Limited Liability Company include Andreas Bolanos of Image Ten Productions and the son of golden era Hollywood legend Rod Cameron, Tony Cameron of Mammoth Pictures.
A hozzászólást 2007 alkalommal szerkesztették, utoljára 1 WNB-kor.
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/events ... cuba2.html

La Lisa, Havana

The summer of '94 was the worst in memory. The sugar harvest was plummeting to its lowest level in decades. Tourists tossed around money as Cubans rationed their eggs, rice, patience. Families cracked. More defectors than ever headed to the seawall, armed with inner tubes and wood. Some put on flippers and stepped into the water and started swimming; others simply hijacked the nearest boat and pointed it north. By the end more than 33,000 had gone. The summer of '94 shook even the party faithful: In early August violence spread from the waterfront to Old Havana as antigovernment protesters clashed with security forces -- the first riots in the capital since the revolution. A cop was seen on TV, blood running down his face.

In the midst of this desperate tangle, at 6 a.m. on July 2, Roberto Balado grew impatient at a train crossing. He jerked his steering wheel, passed an idling school bus, edged onto the track. He had never seen a train here, not in 10 years. His favorite band, Pablo and His Elite, played on the cassette deck. Eight hours later, Balado, the reigning world and Olympic super heavyweight boxing champion, was dead at 25.

``He'd driven me to the boxing gym and gone off on some personal business, and on his way back he was killed, ''says Ariel Hernandez, Balado's best friend of 11 years and a two-time world-champion middleweight. ``The last thing he said was, `Wait for me. I'm coming back.' ''

Not since 75 Cubans, including the entire male and female national fencing teams, died in a plane crash in Barbados in October 1976, had Cuba's sports community suffered such a loss. But Balado's stature transcended boxing: He had won 56 straight matches, including the gold medal in Barcelona, and like all world-beating sports figures he was adored by Cuban socialists and dissidents alike. The news was barely reported in the U.S., but it shook Cuba like an earthquake. ``It was a national tragedy,'' says Juantorena. ``He was very much loved. Charismatic, very simple. Everybody took it hard.''

But few, perhaps, harder than Hernandez, who grew up with Balado in La Lisa, who copied Balado's work ethic, who listened when Balado chided him for partying too much and taught him how to be a good husband. Hernandez adored Balado's way of deflecting attention -- how he gave his medals away and how, when some fan said, ``That's Roberto Balado,'' he would respond, ``No, just Roberto.'' Hernandez was bathing when someone told him there'd been a crash. ``I went crazy,'' he says. ``I started running toward the scene. But when I got there they were taking him away.. . .''

With a friend Hernandez pedaled to Balado's modest, recently awarded home. Balado's wife, Dulce Monteagudo, was asleep when she heard knocking on the door. Hernandez was soaked with sweat. When they got to the hospital, Roberto was conscious; he told Dulce about the train. The bus had blinded him, he said; the train cracked right through the driver's door.

He'd broken six ribs. One was digging a hole in his lung. ``He asked me to take him home because he felt fine,'' Dulce says. ``But I could hear it in his voice: He wasn't fine. He was gasping.'' Still, Roberto was so big and so strong that when attendants couldn't lift him onto a stretcher to go get X- rays, he wrenched his body off the bed and got on the stretcher himself.

Roberto and Dulce had been a couple for eight years. She loved to watch him box; he would come home from a match disappointed if he hadn't heard her screaming advice from the stands. ``This was a disaster for me,'' she says now. ``Three years earlier I'd lost my baby [in a miscarriage], and now I lose him. And when he died, I'd had some symptoms of pregnancy. I think I lost a child again.'' At this she leaves the room. When she returns, she says, ``I tell you: I lost a friend and a great man, apart from a husband.''

It is uncanny, how strong she seems. ``Don't believe it,'' she says. ``Since he died, my spirit has shrunk.''

The funeral was held on a Tuesday. Juantorena and boxing legend Teofilo Stevenson and thousands of others came to the ceremony at Havana's Cristobal Colon Cemetery. Balado was buried in the Pantheon of Sportsmen. The coffin was made of bronze; a Cuban flag lay on top. The Central Committee of the Communist Party sent a wreath. On the headstone Dulce placed a picture of Roberto wearing a medal, with a Cuban flag on his shoulders, but rain has washed the image away. She says she will never watch boxing again.

Since Balado's death, much has changed in Cuba. The regime seems to be edging, glacially, toward a market economy; ordinary Cubans can now shop, with dollars, at open-air bazaars where farmers sell food according to supply and demand. Not far from the overpass that reads SPORT DIGNIFIES MAN, a billboard pushes UNITED COLORS OF BENETTON. No Cuban athlete defected at the Pan Am Games in Argentina. Everyone says life has gotten slightly better, but tension remains: No one is sure whether Castro will abruptly backtrack. No one knows if the regime can survive his death, or if he will ever die. No one can say there will be no more rafters. Or riots. Everybody waits.

Not long after the funeral, a truck pulled up to Dulce's house towing Roberto's white Lada. When there is a fatal accident in Cuba, the family is responsible for the wreck. So Dulce cleaned out the car herself, ejecting the tape, pulling out Roberto's little decorations, his bagful of boxing gear. ``It was his, and it's mine now,'' she says of the demolished vehicle. ``I keep it at a neighbor's house.''

Now Dulce is out the door and walking down the sidewalk in the dark, past one house. She stops at the next. The sound of TV floats through the window; the nightly news is just beginning. Dulce knocks, asks for the garage to be opened. ``I need another car because it's a long ride to the cemetery,'' she says. ``I've kept this because I keep thinking they'll replace it.'' But she hasn't been told a thing.

The garage door yawns open, groaning. The overhead light is so dim. In the stillness Balado's Lada -- another gift from Fidel -- resembles something savaged by a giant claw. The driver's door, shredded into three thin slices, hangs by a black strap. The hood, flipped upside down, sits on the engine. There is no windshield. License plate number 69549. Dulce stands outside in the night, looking in.

``A disaster of life,'' she whispers.

Everybody waits.
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Ha már letörölted ellenfeled vérét...

Előkerült néhány értékes kép...köztük a PTB által anno felkutatott páratlan Glofak vs. Lakatos poszter (feat. Ján Torák - imitátor Karla Gotta).

http://sugarhanrules.tripod.com/allindex.html

Kép

Don "Moose" Lewis et al.: Start your own sanctioning body in 21 days!
Tickets: $2000(VIP), $10, $2, $0.25
Tel: 1-800-ALL-BUMS

Kép

The Legend...Reggie Strickland - uncovered...

Kép

The Contender...the heavyweight alternative...

[sponsored in part by Sports Moose Productions - SMP, THE leader in the erotic sports film industry]

Kép
A hozzászólást 2008 alkalommal szerkesztették, utoljára 1 WNB-kor.
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Ha már letörölted ellenfeled vérét...

SERIN READY FOR WILLIAMS<br><br>"If Williams is going to take this fight lightly I will make him pay," Serin told Fightnews.com. "It was a big mistake from him to choose me as opponent." In his last outing "ista man" Serin knocked out Tanzania`s Bernard Mwakasanga in just 95 seconds. "Adnan is ready for any heavyweight in the world," says Serin`s manager Markus Aslani. "For me he is right now one of the top European contenders. He`s got nothing to lose against Williams, he is the heavy underdog. All the pressure is on Danny." Serin hopes to land a European title shot after beating Williams. "I will take him out and then there is no way to avoid me anymore in Europe," commented Serin. "Vidoz or Sprott are next!"<br><br>###<br>Adnan "Eros" Serin<br>Adnan "The Aachen Assasin" Serin<br><br>(Stripped of the IBU Heavyweight Title April 1, 2003, for failure to defend against Ahmet Oener.)
BUTTON_POST_REPLY