donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CsatlakozottCOLON 2002-10-16 17:33:37
Tartózkodási helyCOLON Tihany
CONTACTCOLON

Harrison és a WBO öv

Hozzászólás Szerző: donvito »

Harrison scoops world title<br><br>Kép<br>Harrison hoists his WBO featherweight belt<br><br>Scott Harrison became Scotland's eighth world champion when he wrestled the WBO featherweight title from tough Argentine Julio Pablo Chacon on Saturday. <br>The Cambuslang fighter joined such greats as Jim Watt and Ken Buchanan with a unanimous points decision after 12 rounds in Glasgow. <br><br>Photo Gallery: Harrison crowned champion <br><br>After the fight a jubilant Harrison said: "I feel unbelievable - it's unbelievable to put on a good performance in front of 5,000 people. <br><br>"He was very tough and very strong, we were working on the jab, he was a good champion. I just wanted to put on a good show for the fans. <br>"I'd like to thank my trainer, my dad and my manager." <br><br>Manager Frank Maloney added: "It was a great win. We've waited six long years and he's the champion of the world. He's now in the elite featherweight bracket." <br><br>Both fighters started cautiously, but the 27-year-old Scot had the better of the first round. <br><br>But Chacon had won the title by beating Hungary's Istvan Kovacs in Budapest - and it would take more than an intimidating atmosphere to unsettle him. <br><br>And he came back strongly to shade the second. <br><br>In the third round Harrison landed a number of telling blows which would have weakened more fragile opponents. <br>Harrison enjoyed his biggest round of the fight in the fourth, which started with a big right hand to the champion's chin. <br><br>Chacon, who has never been knocked out, was soon pinned against the ropes - and a fierce right saw him marked under his right eye. <br><br>The momentum remained with the home favourite in the fifth, and a crunching left seemed to rock Chacon. <br><br>The Argentine came back with some vicious punches and enjoyed the better of the seventh round. <br><br>McCullough target<br><br>But that was short-lived as Harrison had the champion in trouble twice in the eighth after a succession of crushing blows to the body and the head. <br><br>Both stood toe to toe in the tenth, but a fierce left to the chin from Harrison rattled the champ again. <br><br>Chacon, who bloodied Harrison's nose in the 11th, was on the floor in the 12th but was deemed to have slipped on grease. <br><br>Both fighters finished strongly. But it was Harrison who was hoisted aloft after a unanimous verdict, and he now seems set to defend his title against Wayne McCullough.
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Roki és a négy hónapja

Boxer Sentenced for Hitting Cop<br><br>BERLIN (AP) -- Former IBF super middleweight champion Graciano Rocchigiani was sentenced Thursday to four months probation for injuring a police officer and resisting arrest.<br><br>Rocchigiani, who won a $31 million lawsuit against the World Boxing Council last month, already is serving a one-year sentence in a Berlin jail on other charges. He is also required to pay the officer $1,458 in damages.<br><br>Police said the 38-year-old German boxer fell asleep in a woman's car in December 2001 and attacked the officer who woke him.<br><br>He was awarded the settlement last month when a jury in U.S. District Court in Manhattan agreed he was cheated out of his claim to the light-heavyweight championship.<br><br>The case began in 1998, when the WBC declared its light-heavyweight title vacant after Roy Jones, the titleholder at the time, considered abandoning the crown to become a heavyweight.<br><br>Rocchigiani beat American Michael Nunn for the vacated belt on March 21, 1998, but his reign was brief. When Jones returned to the light-heavyweight ranks in June, he was restored to his position as WBC champion.
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Re: WBA rankings

Mesi tops bill for Sugar Ray<br>By Mike Lewis (Daily Telegraph)<br><br>Sugar Ray Leonard, who won world titles at five different weights, puts his reputation as a boxing promoter on the line tonight when his protege, 'Baby' Joe Mesi, with a strongly partisan home crowd on his side, takes on Nigerian David Izon a make-or-break fight.<br><br>Mesi, a 28-year-old former American footballer who turned to boxing at the age of 20, is now being hailed in his native Buffalo as the new Rocky Marciano.<br><br>"This guy can go all the way," said Leonard, whose career included epic battles with Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns and Roberto Duran.<br><br>His unbeaten heavyweight stands on the cusp of the big-time following a carefully constructed professional career consisting of 23 wins, 21 by knockout.<br><br>Mesi's record may have been fattened by a diet of no-hopers and serial losers but tonight, in Izon, he faces an opponent who will actually fire back.<br><br>"I guess his prime was a few years ago, but I just don't think he can handle someone as young and athletics as I am," Mesi said.<br><br>"He has been in some real battles in the past and it might be starting to catch up with him."<br><br>Curiously Izon, 34, is best known for anticipated showdowns which have never happened. At various times he has been touted as a future opponent for Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis, and the fact both chose to avoid him may prove ominous for Mesi.<br><br>Izon, a former Olympic silver medallist, is certainly not short of motivation. "I was disappointed when those fights fell through," he said. "If I can beat Mesi in his own back yard it will open up a lot of doors for me."<br>_______________________________________________________________________________________________<br>u.i. Tényleg mi a véleményetek Mesi-ről? Szerintem bármi lehet a gyerek, de ebben a stádiumban még inkább lufi, nem?
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CsatlakozottCOLON 1970-01-01 02:00:00
CONTACTCOLON

Re: WBA rankings

Hozzászólás Szerző: WNB »

> BBC - Harrison hits back<br><br>Chacon [lecke gyermekeimek: hogyan fényezzük magunkat az alkalomhoz illően az anno legyőzött  ellenfeleinket fényezve - épp csak kihagyva a korábban odavetett szót (amateur)]:<br><br>"I don't think this fight will be any more difficult than when I won the title in Hungary against (Istvan) Kovacs, the best featherweight in the world. <br><br>That proved that I am the best and I'll continue to keep proving it."
Ez a csillagromboló mindenkit sz-e-r-e-t... (Krzystof Aaron Hasselhoff)
...kivéve a csillagokat... (David Marcellus Hasselhoff)
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

WBA rankings

Sparks Fly at W.B.A. Rankings Meeting<br>ASSOCIATED PRESS<br><br><br>Filed at 7:23 p.m. ET<br><br><br>NEW YORK (AP) -- When the World Boxing Association decided to hold an open hearing on heavyweight rankings, it figured a fight might break out. And it almost did.<br><br>The trouble really began last July, when Kirk Johnson was disqualified in the 10th round of his WBA title fight against champion John Ruiz after throwing at least four low blows.<br><br>The loss tumbled Johnson from No. 5 to No. 10 in the rankings, based on a complicated points formula. Promoter Dino Duva protested the drop.<br><br>The WBA reconsidered, citing human error in the points compilation. "The committee grants the appeal and vacates the September rankings,'' attorney Robert Mack said Wednesday.<br><br>In the reconfiguration, Johnson was placed at No. 8.<br><br>Still, not enough for Duva, who argued that the WBA shouldn't have used a points system to determine his fighter's ranking.<br><br>Ruiz's lawyer, Anthony Cardinale, then lashed out at Duva.<br><br>"Johnson was disqualified for low blows, blatant fouls designed to hurt an opponent,'' he said. "He shouldn't even be in the top 10.''<br><br>Now the gloves were off. The two men shouted across the room at each other.<br><br>"You give us $3 million and we'll fight Johnson tomorrow,'' Cardinale said, remembering that Ruiz made $1.5 million for the first fight, the biggest payday of his career.<br><br>"You got it!'' Duva yelled. "Let's do a contract.''<br><br>With that, Duva stormed from the room. As the promoter left, WBA president Gilberto Mendoza said, "Thank you for coming.''<br><br>Heavyweight rankings have caused problems for boxing before.<br><br>Former IBF president Bob Lee was convicted on six of 33 felony charges for taking bribes from promoters and managers in exchange for rigging rankings. Included was a $100,000 payoff in 1995 to sanction a George Foreman-Axel Schulz match.<br><br>At the heart of the Lee case were promoters Cedric Kushner and Bob Arum. Kushner was fined $175,000 by the Nevada Athletic Commission for admitting he paid bribes to the IBF. Arum said he made the $100,000 payoff to get the IBF to permit Foreman to defend his heavyweight title against Schulz and was barred from doing business in New Jersey for 18 months.<br><br>Kushner and Arum were not at the WBA session. But the rest of the boxing community was there in force.<br><br>Next up was promoter Gary Shaw.<br><br>"I think your system is flawed,'' he told the rankings committee. "If you put in a points system, you have to let everybody know. This system you have, if you fight a stiff 100 times, you get the most points. You control the rankings and shots at the title.''<br><br>That stirred up promoter Butch Lewis.<br><br>Lewis was representing Faruq Saleem, managed by former heavyweight champion Michael Spinks. He complained that when he sought fights for his man, other promoters wanted a piece of Saleem as a price for fighting him.<br><br>"Why do you want to be my partner now?'' Lewis said. "You should have been there when he was 0-0, not 29-0.<br><br>"You're knocking on closed doors, unless you're not expected to win. Unless we're sharing, you're out. I am at your mercy.<br><br>"I'm ready to find out if he's real or Memorex. But I'm handcuffed. I come to you.''<br><br>Lewis was particularly outraged that Johnson retained a top 10 ranking even after the disqualification while Saleem was in the second tier at No. 12.<br><br>That brought old pal Don King into the fray. A longtime ally of the World Boxing Council, he is now Ruiz's promoter. Earlier, he had chimed in on the Carnivale-Duva debate, shouting that Johnson's low blows were premeditated.<br><br>Now he had the floor to himself.<br><br>"The best thing you can do is tell the truth,'' he announced. "When we started, it was based on lies. It's changing now. There are no secrets in the business. You've got to come with the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It's becoming very confusing.<br><br>"You can't fight for principle. That principle will put you out of business.<br><br>"Boxing is a strange business. The day lobbying is put out is the end of boxing. You've got to hustle, man. The treachery, the backstabbing. It's empirical evidence. Now you see what I've gone through for 30 years.<br><br>"Dinah Washington said it. `What a difference a day makes.'''<br><br>Through it all, attorney Mack listened intently.<br><br>"This is my first experience with boxing,'' he said later. <br>"Is it always like this?''<br>
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Daily Telegraph<br>Religion holds sway for Williams<br>By Bob Mee<br><br>Danny Williams, the British heavyweight champion, has put his religious beliefs before boxing in the United States next month.<br><br>Williams, 29, was to have met Corrie Sanders, of South Africa, in Oklahoma City on Nov 9, but has withdrawn from the bout because as a Muslim he wants to concentrate on Ramadan.<br><br>His decision not to box is a surprise, given that the date was announced a fortnight ago. Ramadan, the ninth month of the Muslim calendar and a time for fasting, worship and contemplation, begins on Nov 6.<br><br>Williams, who outpointed London rival Keith Long in a British title defence last month, left promoter Don King in the summer to link up with Lion Promotions, which is run by world champion Lennox Lewis.<br><br>Adrian Ogun, Lewis's business manager, said: "Lennox Lewis and I have tremendous respect for Danny's observance of Ramadan. We are confident in Danny's ability to perform at the highest level and look forward to showcasing him in the United States in the new year."<br><br>Steve Conway, of Dewsbury, has been passed by the British Boxing Board of Control to box Alex Arthur for the vacant British super-featherweight title in Glasgow on Saturday.<br><br>Conway, a substitute for the injured Willie Limond, had to prove to BBBC officials that he was close enough to the 9st 4lb weight limit before they would approve. They gave their blessing yesterday.<br><br>It is the first British championship opportunity for both. Arthur, voted Young Boxer of the Year by national boxing writers in September, was a world-class amateur and is now unbeaten in 12 professional fights.<br><br>Conway, a southpaw managed out of Leeds by former professional Michael Marsden, has come through the ranks slowly, but has won 26 of 30 contests and in April ended the career of the former World Boxing Organisation featherweight champion, Steve Robinson, of Wales.<br><br>That same WBO title, once held by Naseem Hamed, is the target of Cambuslang challenger Scott Harrison in Saturday's main event. Harrison is aiming to become the first Scot to win a version of the world 126lb championship by dethroning the champion, Julio Pablo Chacon, of Argentina.<br><br>Shea Neary, the Liverpudlian who held the World Boxing Union light-welterweight title from 1996 until 2000, wants to come out of retirement to box Ricky Hatton.<br><br>Neary, 34, has not boxed since he lost a disputed points decision to Eamonn Magee in a Commonwealth title fight in Belfast two years ago.
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CsatlakozottCOLON 1970-01-01 02:00:00
CONTACTCOLON

Hozzászólás Szerző: WNB »

[ide is beteszem]<br><br>Frank Maloney a Chacon-Harrison meccsről<br><br>THE MALONEY REPORT (16/10/2002 18:54, by Iain Axon) <br><br>http://frankwarren.tv/fw/news/101602_ma ... port.shtml
Ez a csillagromboló mindenkit sz-e-r-e-t... (Krzystof Aaron Hasselhoff)
...kivéve a csillagokat... (David Marcellus Hasselhoff)
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

BBC<br>Calzaghe searching for Christmas box<br><br>Kép<br>Calzaghe hopes for a better fight than Miguel Jimenez<br><br>Wales' WBO Super-Middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe is determined to organise a pre-Christmas fight. <br>He will meet promoter Frank Warren on Thursday and is hopeful of setting up a show for December 14 in Cardiff. <br><br>The Welshman's last bout was a disappointing 12-round points win over Miguel Jimenez in Cardiff Castle in August. <br><br>Calzaghe is frustrated at the lack of quality opposition prepared to enter the ring with him. <br><br>Having cleaned up in his division, he is looking for middleweights prepared to step up a weight or light-heavys prepared to move down. <br><br>There are no signs of the long-sought superbouts with Roy Jones Jr or Bernard Hopkins materialising. <br><br>Family split <br><br>There could be a danger of a split in the Calzaghe camp on Wednesday night as the champ is accompanied to the Wales v Italy game by his Sicilian father, Enzo. <br><br>The family are lifelong Juventus fans, but whilst Joe has come out in favour of Wales for the big game, Enzo will be shouting for the Azzurri. <br><br>The champion is an unlikely addition to the ranks calling for the resignation of Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni. <br><br>Calzaghe described Trapattoni's tactics as negative and old fashioned and said it was time for a change. <br><br>
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM)

Kép <br>Unknown Colombian Teaches Unexpected Lesson<br>By RON DICKER<br><br><br>It was not the postfight setting the Olajide family could have envisioned. Tokunbo Olajide, who had been knocked out in the first round yesterday, was being examined by a doctor as his brother, Michael Olajide Jr., and father, Michael Sr., watched with concern.<br><br><br>Michael Olajide Jr., who once lost to Tommy Hearns in a title bout, observed that any unknown with a perfect knockout record had to be respected. "If he's batting 1.000, he has the confidence of a Mike Tyson at the top of his game," he said. "He thinks he can beat King Kong."<br><br>Tokunbo Olajide learned that lesson in a nationally televised junior middleweight bout at the Regent Hotel on Wall Street. Facing an expected setup against Epifanio Mendoza of Colombia, he discovered that Mendoza's 15 knockouts in 15 fights had merit.<br><br>As Olajide retreated from an exchange late in the first round, Mendoza unleashed a right hand to Olajide's cheek. Olajide fell backward to the canvas immediately and twisted his right ankle on the way down. Not only was he stunned, but he was also lame. Mendoza let out a triumphant scream and played host to a small party with his handlers in the middle of the ring.<br><br>The conversation between Olajide and a doctor in an upstairs conference room concerned not his state of consciousness, but whether his ankle would require surgery.<br><br>It took only 2 minutes 26 seconds to transform Olajide (17-1) from a contender ordained to be a future champion into another hopeful with a blemished record. A serious trumpet player who often talks about life's rhythms, Olajide was calm and philosophical in defeat.<br><br>"We all have a path and this will be part of mine," said Olajide, 25, who lives in Midtown Manhattan and trains at Gleason's in Brooklyn.<br><br>Mendoza's path took a turn just as shocking before hundreds who dined on filet mignon at $200 a plate at the black-tie event. Mendoza, 26, was picked just 11 days ago as a replacement opponent when another Colombian, Nicola Cervera, was denied a visa. Mendoza had an unbeaten record, but the names of his opponents would not ring a bell with many boxing insiders. It was only his third fight outside Colombia.<br><br>Mendoza said he had been preparing for another fight, which he promptly canceled.<br><br>"I wanted to fight somebody good with a name," Mendoza said. "I'm so happy."<br><br>Mendoza watched video of Olajide and felt he could be beaten in three rounds. "So it was the first round," Mendoza said. "That's even better."<br><br>Olajide does not study tendencies of his opponents. He said he would not change his approach, only the result. "There are things that happen in this strange sport of ours, and sometimes you end up on the wrong end of it," he said.<br><br>The first 2:25 were uneventful. Olajide began with a conservative, closed style, departing briefly from it when he flailed a left hook that missed. All that could be observed of Mendoza was that he was fit and had an intriguing, red-dyed Afro patch on his head. Otherwise, he could have been just another run-of-the-mill boxer with inflated credentials.<br><br>But he was a run-of-the-mill boxer with at least one good punch.<br><br>PUNCH LINES<br><br>On the undercard, the lightweight PAULIE MALIGNAGGI (11-0) of Brooklyn found time to punch between his preening and trash-talking to defeat CHAD LAWSHE of Alabama by decision in six rounds. . . . In the best fight of the afternoon, MARTIN O'MALLEY of Edmonds, Wash., won a unanimous decision over DANNY RIOS of San Antonio in a bloody 10-round lightweight bout. O'Malley (20-1) had to fight with a gash on the bridge of his nose, and Rios (14-3) had a cut under his right eye for the second half of the bout.<br>
BUTTON_POST_REPLY