donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CsatlakozottCOLON 2002-10-16 17:33:37
Tartózkodási helyCOLON Tihany
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Hozzászólás Szerző: donvito »

Boston Herald<br><br>by George Kimball <br><br>A just re-Ward<br><br>Micky Ward was never a United States Marine, although some would say he fights like one. Neither has he played baseball since his Little League days, although he did wear the regalia of his hometown Lowell Spinners into the ring against Arturo Gatti at the Mohegan Sun in May.<br><br>The Semper Fidelis Society, an organization of former Marines, will celebrate Veterans Day tomorrow by presenting Ward with its first annual Ted Williams Globe and Anchor Award. The honor symbolizes the "commitment and dedication to excellence'' former Marine fighter pilot Williams displayed on and off the field.<br><br>"When Ted died, most people remembered him as a great baseball player,'' said Tom Lyons, the event chairman of the Semper Fi Society. "We wanted to honor Ted for his great accomplishments as a Marine. Everyone agrees that Micky Ward is the perfect choice, particularly after his unbelievable fight against Arturo Gatti.''<br><br>Ward will receive the award at a noontime ceremony at the Hynes Convention Center, with Lt. Gen. Dennis McCarthy and former Red Sox general manager Lou Gorman making the presentation.<br><br>Ward will be taking a break from training for his Nov. 23 Atlantic City rematch against Gatti.<br><br>With fewer than 300 tickets remaining for Ward-Gatti II, the event appears destined to sell out this week, but for fight fans unable to make the trip to New Jersey, promoter Rich Cappiello plans to combine a closed-circuit viewing of the HBO telecast with a live boxing card at the Roseland Ballroom in Taunton. New England junior welterweight champ Jeff Fraza (12-2) headlines, in a nontitle bout against Michigan's Jadschi Green (7-2-2), who got a decision over Southie's Jimmy LeBlanc at the Wonderland Ballroom last month after LeBlanc broke his right hand in the first round. Hometown heavyweight Hector Rodriguez, Philly middleweight William Gibbs and Brockton-based Canadian middleweight Ian Gardner are also fighting on the bill. For information, phone 508-587-5554 or (508) 587-3370. . . .<br><br>Promoter Doug Pendarvis has matched John Douglas (2-8-2) against Pennsylvania contender Julian Letterlough (18-3-1) in the main event of Friday's Dorchester Armory card. Douglas had an interesting introduction to the sport back in his native Guyana five years ago when he fought (and was stopped by) current World Boxing Council cruiserweight champion Wayne Braithwaite in the pro debut for both boxers. Also slated on the Dorchester card are Southie middleweight Tommy Attardo (10-11) vs. New Hampshire's Jason LeHoullier (4-0), Worcester cruiserweight Roy Payne, Dorchester heavyweight Mike Beverly, and South Boston cruiserweight Chris Tillman. For information, phone 617-825-3283.<br><br>Hopkins, DiBella spar<br><br>It didn't quite upstage King's heavyweight press conference, but perhaps it should have: Lou DiBella's defamation case against undisputed middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins went to trial in New York last week, and the same day King was holding court at The Plaza, a jury was hearing a tape of MaxBoxing's Steve Kim's interview with Hopkins, in which the boxer claimed that "every time Lou DiBella have done something for me, including lobby for me to get me on the Roy Jones undercard . . . he got paid. Even when he worked for HBO.'' When his turn on the stand came, DiBella labeled Hopkins' allegation "ridiculous.''<br><br>"The only thing I agree with him on that tape about is if I did that it would be criminal,'' DiBella testified, according to the New York Daily News. "I would never engage in that kind of behavior. Never! Ever!'' . . .<br><br>South Boston's Joey DeGrandis fights former light heayvweight champ Virgil Hill in North Dakota next Sunday on Fox SportsNet. . . .<br><br>Happy birthday, Mills Lane.
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Ayala Measures His Words on Title Bout With Morales<br>By MICHAEL KATZ<br> <br>LAS VEGAS, Nov. 15 — He is making $1 million for the first time, but Paulie Ayala is aware that the bigger the reward, the bigger the risk. If he needed a reminder about fighting the bigger, younger and stronger Erik Morales on Saturday night at the Mandalay Bay Events Center, he got it at the recent induction ceremonies for the World Boxing Hall of Fame in Los Angeles.<br><br>"It was a sad thing," Ayala said. "I saw guys who were once on top of this game at one time who now can't hold a normal conversation. Financially, many did not manage their money right. It touched my heart."<br><br>With his thin-framed glasses and professorial goatee, Ayala does not look like a boxer. With his almost perfect diction and soft-spoken manner, he does not sound like one, either. He would just as soon talk about how he and Leti, his wife of 10 years, took 40 Fort Worth children to camp this summer than discuss why his size will not matter against Morales in their World Boxing Council featherweight title fight.<br><br>And he has only nice things to say about Morales, who in turn has nothing bad to say about anyone except his Mexican rival, Marco Antonio Barrera.<br><br>Barrera easily beat Johnny Tapia on points Nov. 2, the first of the two big featherweight fights here this month. Tapia kept calling Barrera the king of the featherweights.<br><br>"We have a long way to go to decide that," said Morales, whose only professional loss came last June 22 to Barrera after he had edged him in a 2000 bout.<br><br>Morales, 26, will be making $1.1 million. He is three inches taller than Ayala, 32, who is 5 feet 5 inches. <br><br>Ayala, no relation to Tony Ayala Jr. from San Antonio, said height and bulk would not be decisive.<br><br>Morales disagreed. "I might be 138 pounds by the time we get in the ring," he said. "When he starts hitting me and I don't feel anything, he'll see."<br><br>Ayala also expects to be about 138 by fight time. "They're making too much of this size issue," he said. "Speed is going to be a big factor, not size. And it's going to be about who's going to be the smartest guy in the ring."<br><br>Ayala is 34-1 with 12 knockouts. Morales, who fought most of his career at 122 pounds, is 41-1 with 31 knockouts.<br><br>Because of his reach disadvantage, Ayala generally pressures opponents, wearing them down. Morales has had trouble in the past with pressure, not only from Barrera, but also from Guty Espadas and Injin Chi.<br><br>Ayala and Morales have been at it a long time. Ayala began boxing at age 4, following an older brother into the gym. Morales, born in his father's Tijuana gym, has been fighting professionally since age 16.<br><br>The promoter Bob Arum said it was going to tear him apart to see his two fighters meet.<br><br>"Everyone's looking forward to this except me," he said. "If there are any two fighters I love working with, love as people, it's Paulie and Erik."
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CsatlakozottCOLON 1970-01-01 02:00:00
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Hozzászólás Szerző: WNB »

Beszélgetés Vargassal<br><br>>> Vargas Searches for A “Golden” Redemption in 2003 <<<br>MaxBoxing.com<br>by Thomas Gerbasi (November 15, 2002)<br>http://www.maxboxing.com/Gerbasi/gerbas ... ###<br>Egy részlet - bár ez inkább a "Ha már letörölted..."-be való:<br><br>Things may be settled between the two fighters, but Vargas’ eldest son, five-year-old Fernando Jr., may be a harder sell.<br><br>“He was crying,” said Vargas, who tried to console his son after the fight, but to no avail.<br><br>“Yeah, Daddy, but I wanted you to mess him up,” said Fernando Jr.<br><br>“It doesn’t matter. There will be other times it can happen.” Answered Dad.<br><br>“Dad, does Oscar have a son?”<br><br>“Yes.”<br><br>“Well, I want to mess him up.”
Ez a csillagromboló mindenkit sz-e-r-e-t... (Krzystof Aaron Hasselhoff)
...kivéve a csillagokat... (David Marcellus Hasselhoff)
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Ádám, hangsúlyozottan nem szakértőként, hanem csak az élet által (és nem Lucas miatt) kinevelt közepes laikusként (bár inkább a hyper-területen) csak annyit tennék hozzá - még tovább offolva -, hogy<br><br># Vannak azért jobb - már nem csak "népszerű tudomány - a Kiskegyed különszáma" jellegű linkek a témában publikusan is. Mit szólnál például ezekhez? (kiragadva)<br><br>>> http://www.thyroidmanager.org <<<br>>> http://www.thyrolink.com <<<br>>> http://www.tsh.org <<<br><br>[többféle szintet fognak össze]<br><br>De azért az egyszerűbbekre is szükség van (csak ne hazudjanak) - mert a dolog népbetegséggé kezd válni a fejlett világban.<br><br># Ami német nyelvterületen thyreoiditis, az angol nyelvterületen thyroiditis.<br><br># Az "Egy biztos"-kezdetű mondatban hypothyreozisra gondoltál, de hyperthyreozist írtál. Mondjuk a "painless (silent,etc.) thyr(e)oditisra" éppen jellemző, hogy előbb hyper, aztán hypo - majd akár normalizálódhat a dolog...<br><br># A legtöbb helyen azért - a hasonlóságok ellenére - már megkülönböztetik a még nem kialakult nevű "painless, silent, atypical (silent) subacute" (vagy akármi) szintén autoimmun változatot a Hashimoto-féle formától.<br><br>http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter19 ... Autoimmune thyroiditis, commonly referred to as chronic, Hashimoto's, or lymphocytic thyroiditis and also known as lymphadenoid goiter and struma lymphomatosa. This indolent disease usually persists for years and in the Western world is the principal cause of non-iatrogenic primary hypothyroidism. Nonspecific focal thyroiditis, characterised by local lymphoid cell infiltration without parenchymal changes, may be a variant of the autoimmune disease. The condition is covered in detail in Chapter 8. Another form of thyroiditis, also believed to be of autoimmune cause, has recently been described. It has been variably referred to as painless, silent, occult, subacute, subacute nonsuppurative, and atypical (silent) subacute thyroiditis, as well as hyperthyroiditis, transient thyrotoxicosis with low thyroidal RAIU and lymphocytic thyroiditis with spontaneously resolving hyperthyroidism. There is no agreement on an inclusive name. The features of this disease entity overlap deQuervain's thyroiditis and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The clinical course, with the exception of a very high erythrocyte sedimentation rate are indistinguishable from deQuervain's thyroiditis. Yet, histologically, the condition cannot be differentiated from a milder form of Hashimoto's disease. This condition often occurs in the postpartum period and is also termed postpartum thyroiditis. All forms of autoimmune thyroiditis are considered in Chapter 8.[/i]<br><br>http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter8/ ... htm<br><br># Azért kibújt belőled a sebész ;): "Csak egyvalami segít: kivágni az értéktelen rothadást = mütét." ;D<br><br>Visszatérek inkább a bokszhoz...
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

(OFF<br><br>Ádám,<br><br>Azt tképp hogy érted, hogy nincs "ilyen" betegség? - már ha lehet ilyet kérdezni - tudom, hogy a pajzsmirigy még fiatal, változó téma - orvosi időszámítással...mehet magánban is. (Én sajnos nem a progmaton tanultam róla...hanem kint a mátrixban.)<br><br>Mit mond pl. a Google?<br><br>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... <br><br>Én csak vettem az első linket, ami lehet kicsit out-of-date, de nem állít gyökeresen mást mint a többi ~ezer...<br><br>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... >Kiragadok még egy linket:<br><br>http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyroiditis.html<br><br>ON)
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Lucashoz és a silent thyroiditishez: a pajzsmirigy problémák általában nem gyógyulnak gyorsan, mehetnek a hónapok (gyógyszeres kezelésben az éves nagyságrend sem kuriózum)...ha Lucas most a túlműködéses időszak elején és felszálló ágában van, akkor nem lesz rövid távon sportra komolyan alkalmas...<br><br>Egy kis háttér:<br><br>http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 000388.htm
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Brilliant Barrera still a force<br>By Richie Woodhall <br>BBC boxing commentator  <br><br>Before his comprehensive win over Johnny Tapia, featherweight king Marco Antonio Barrera said that he was "not as good physically" as he was in his youth. <br>But he added that he thought he was now "smarter". <br>Just how smart became more apparent as he gave a boxing exhibition against the experienced and tough Tapia. <br>Here I look at why Barrera's performance was an authentic boxing clinic. <br><br>The jab<br><br>"His jab was perfect - very, very fast and accurate, which is exactly what a jab has to be if it is going to be successful. <br>I thought his jab was his best weapon on Saturday. <br>He made it look very easy - waiting for Tapia to overreach before striking with it - it was all textbook stuff." <br><br>Ring generalship<br><br>"Barrera is such a smart fighter <br>He experimented once during the fight, in the sixth round when he stood toe-to-toe with Tapia. <br>Tapia won that round but that was the only chance he was given. <br>The next round Barrera got straight back to his boxing style - he knew he had been successful with it and just carried on hitting and moving out of punching range. <br>I thought his performance was very calculated - his tactics were perfect." <br><br>Defence<br><br>"Barrera does not neglect his defensive work. <br>His hands are always nice and high and he keeps his chin tucked into his chest. <br>As a former boxer, I can tell you that such a target is very difficult to hit. <br>When you do get past his guard, he has that fantastic chin. You could hit him with a really good shot, but like a typical Mexican fighter, he absorbs it and it just seems to bounce off him." <br><br>Style<br><br>"People have started to notice that Barrera can almost effortlessly change styles - he can do it during a fight which is a rare quality. <br>He fought Erik Morales and changed his style, he fought Naseem Hamed and changed his style and against Tapia, he did it during the fight - it is the mark of a talented fighter. <br>I know that, speaking for myself, I was purely a boxer and could not change - when I did try and fight inside, I would run into trouble. <br>That never happens to Barrera - he seems so comfortable with any style he uses." <br><br>The future <br><br>"I would say Barrera is the most complete all-round fighter in the world today - only Roy Jones Jnr is comparable. <br>He probably has at least two years left of producing such stunning performances - but I think he might struggle to carry on till the age of 35, like Tapia. <br>I think guys like Tapia, Morales and Naz can keep getting the best out of him. <br>I think anyone who hits as hard as Naz will always have a chance against Barrera - I just question Hamed's hunger. <br>But in terms of Barrera-Tapia, you won't get better quality boxing than that - it was fierce and fast, but they were always thinking about what they were doing."
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Ill Boxer Lucas Won't Lose Title<br><br>MONTREAL (AP) -- The World Boxing Council has assured Eric Lucas he won't lose his standing as its super-middleweight world champion while he recovers from a thyroid problem.<br><br>Lucas withdrew from a mandatory title defense on Dec. 7 against Germany's Markus Beyer in Leipzig due to an inflammation of the thyroid gland. Beyer, the top-ranked contender, will instead fight either David Starie of Britain or American Antwun Echols for the interim championship, with the winner facing Lucas next year.<br><br>Lucas feared he would lose his right as champion to 75 percent of the fight purse and have to split the money evenly with the interim champ.<br><br>Yvon Michel, general manager of Interbox, which promotes Lucas, said a letter from WBC president Jose Sulaiman promised "Lucas' interests are integrally and collectively protected.''<br><br>The letter said the promoters of the Dec. 7 bout must sign a document clearly stating the bout is interim and the winner must fight Lucas when he gets medical clearance.<br><br>It also said Lucas must be guaranteed $873,000 for the fight - the same 75 percent cut he was to have made for the Dec. 7 bout.<br><br>"Eric Lucas is very relieved,'' Michel said. "He can now take the time needed to recuperate, return to training and defend his championship.''<br><br>Lucas, who has defended his title three times since winning it in 2001, is expected to fight again in early spring.<br><br>Lucas had to abandon his training in upstate New York last week due to fatigue. Doctors later diagnosed silent thyroiditis, a rare condition, and ordered the boxer to rest. He is expected to make a complete recovery.
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Vargas, De La Hoya Have Meeting<br><br>LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Oscar De La Hoya and Fernando Vargas have apparently settled their differences.<br><br>The two met at a restaurant and bar in nearby Pasadena on Monday, shook hands, and Vargas congratulated De La Hoya for knocking him out in the 11th round of their 154-pound championship bout two months ago.<br><br>"I look at this meeting as a starting point to what will develop into a long friendship between the two of us,'' De La Hoya said in a statement.<br><br>"I wanted to tell Oscar how much I respect his victory in the ring and his subsequent attitude outside the ring,'' Vargas said in the release.<br><br>De La Hoya had said on a television sports show he'd like to have dinner with Vargas and clear the air, according to Vargas' manager, Rolando Arrellano.<br><br>Vargas then contacted his longtime adversary and the meeting was set up.<br><br>Vargas explained he didn't congratulate De La Hoya following the bout because he was not allowed to by doctors, instead being taken to a hospital.<br><br>"It would have been the right thing to do, for me to go over, and it was something I wanted to do,'' Vargas told De La Hoya, according to Arrellano. "But I was not allowed to do it.''<br><br>Five days after the bout, at a news conference, Vargas did offer congratulations to De La Hoya.<br><br>Vargas, of Oxnard, also told De La Hoya, who grew up in East Los Angeles, that he unknowingly used a banned substance before the bout, saying it was an over-the-counter diet supplement he took that apparently had traces of what is considered an anabolic steroid.<br><br>He told De La Hoya it would have made no sense for him to knowingly take something illegal when he knew he would be tested after the bout.<br><br>Arrellano also said the two discussed a possible rematch before shaking hands and parting company.<br><br>Vargas and De La Hoya were each accompanied by a member of their boxing camp at the meeting.
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

dailyTELEGRAPH<br>Hatton to share top billing<br>By Bob Mee<br><br>Ricky Hatton will box Antonio Mesquita of Brazil in his next fight at the Telewest Arena, Newcastle, on December 14, said promoter Frank Warren.<br><br>Mesquita, who has won all 26 of his professional contests while based in Brazil and Mexico, was to have boxed at lightweight in a final eliminator for the World Boxing Organisation championship against Bobby Vanzie of Bradford last month.<br><br>The Vanzie fight fell through, however, and so Mesquita steps up a division to light-welterweight to box Hatton. The Brazilian won a Latin American title at 140 lbs last year and so weight should not be an issue.<br><br>Hatton, 24, will share top billing with WBO super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe, who boxes veteran American Thomas Tate. British super-featherweight champion Alex Arthur is also scheduled to defend his title on the same promotion.<br><br>Hatton has held the insignificant World Boxing Union belt since March 2001 but his main goal is the acknowledged No 1 in the world, Kostya Tszyu of Russia.<br><br>British heavyweight champion Danny Williams must travel to Germany in the new year to challenge for the European title against the Turk Samil Sam.<br><br>Sam's promoters, Universum, won the bidding for the fight with an offer of $313,000 (&#163;215,000), of which Sam as champion will take the greater percentage.
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

dailyTELEGRAPH<br>Sport on TV: Foreman gives Harrison a grilling<br>By Giles Smith  <br><br>George Foreman is among us again, this time selling kitchen utensils. "It's called the George Foreman Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine," he told Frank Skinner on Tuesday night, getting directly to the business end of the conversation. (I'm sure people would be delighted to go on ITV's The Frank Skinner Show for the pleasure of Skinner's company alone, but having an item to promote never hurts.)<br><br>"It's electric," Foreman added, helpfully, while Skinner tentatively nursed a sample of the product, as if mildly nervous that it might without warning grill his lap and reduce his fat in the leanest, meanest way.<br><br>Foreman's theory, as far as one could make out, is that there's a whole new generation of nutrition-conscious male chefs out there who can be stimulated into buying a cardio-friendly indoor barbecue, just as long as it comes with an unfettered endorsement from a former heavyweight boxing champion. Beats panto, I'm sure. Why didn't Frank Bruno think of this?<br><br>"The men cook now," said Foreman sagely. "Not in my house," said Skinner, carefully setting the grill down beside his chair where it couldn't get to him.<br><br>That signalled the end of the info-mercial and the beginning of a highly engaging conversation about boxing. True, Foreman saved some of his chewiest remarks about the state of the sport he once ruled for a grill-launch at Harrods. That was where he stated that Lennox Lewis should retire, having nothing else to prove or gain, and that he, Foreman, quite fancied having a pop at Audley Harrison. "At least he'd be famous afterwards," Foreman said.<br><br>Something there for Harrison's people to mull over. Although they would be unlikely to risk the newcomer against the feisty 53-year-old, they might at least consider putting him in against one of the Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machines which, even unplugged, could provide the Olympic champion with the sort of examination he so desperately needs at this point in his career.<br><br>In a less combative, more ruminative frame of mind, Foreman gladly shared with Skinner and his audience his feelings about the chilly nature of Joe Frazier ("If you hit him, he enjoyed it") and again defined his own retaking of the heavyweight crown at the unusual age of 45 as a service in the righteous war against ageism. "You can go back to college, you can learn to be a racing driver . . . because I became heavyweight champion of the world, people could dream."<br><br>My own memories of that night in 1994 are less of a thrilling extension for the boundaries of youth and more of fighting to stay awake while a surprisingly blubbery challenger unthinkably sucker-punched Michael Moorer in the 10th. But that's the point about pivotal moments in social history, I suppose: we're not always alert enough to spot them at the time.<br><br>Even so, one had mixed feelings about Foreman's declared plan to return to the ring when he is 55 and strike a still more destructive blow to the forces of time. Much as one warmed to his vision of a world in which "people would be afraid of senior citizens", one winced to imagine him going in against either of the Klitschko brothers, no matter how hard he worked to reduce his fat in the meantime. As for Mike Tyson, he might not pause to grill Foreman first.<br><br>Then again, Foreman has worked with animals before. As he reminded us, he once kept a lion as a pet, but had to give him up when "he started chewing up my bed and mattress. I had no idea they were so dangerous," Foreman said, with a naivety which ill became a man immersed in the rough, tough world of wholesale kitchen appliances.<br><br>Skinner wondered why Foreman had never really had a boxing nickname, other than "Big" which, as Skinner pointed out, hardly set him apart in the heavyweight division. Foreman said he didn't know why, but nothing had really stuck - though he did remember Muhammad Ali calling him "Frankenstein" at one point.<br><br>In fact, what Ali called Foreman was "The Mummy". Ali did a whole routine on this theme before the 1974 fight in Zaire: "Here's a guy running through the jungle doing the hundred yard dash, and the mummy is chasing him. Thomp, thomp, thomp. 'Ooh, help! I can't get away from the mummy!' " And so on.<br><br>Given the path he has followed in retirement, it's a good thing for Foreman the name never caught on. Mummy's Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine? Not these days.<br><br>I hoped to find Foreman slaving over a hot grill yesterday lunchtime on Today With Des and Mel (ITV1). That's Des as in O'Connor, by the way, and Mel as in someone else, young enough to be his granddaughter.
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Tommy Brooks-t (fűszoknyában) kiretusálják a "Tarzan-ikrek menni Amerika" c. action-movie-ból...ez azért kicsit váratlan húzás.<br><br>Brooks, Klitschkos part ways! <br>By Scott Shaffer, Fightnews<br>Citing a misunderstanding, respected trainer Tommy Brooks says he is no longer working with the Klitschko brothers. According to a statement issued by Brooks, he spent much of the summer in Germany but his efforts were not productive. "The simple fact is that there was a major misunderstanding on the part of Peter Kohl. He was not interested in sitting down and getting the facts straight and I was not interested in being accused of something that was totally incorrect," said Brooks. "I was in Germany primarily to train the Klitschkos, but agreed to work with all the Universum fighters while I was there. It just turned into a matter of total confusion - the left hand not knowing what the rights doing - and nobody telling me anything that was going on. After being there two and one half months, with the Klitschko's not being in training which was why I was there in the first place, I decided there was no point in my staying and I returned back to the States in mid-September. Vitali called me about 2 weeks ago and didn't even know I was gone - which tells you about the communication problem over there."  <br>11/12/2002 <br><br>[No comment.]<br><br>(Kb - inkább szó szerint, mint stilizálva: Az elismert tréner, Tommy Brooks, egy félreértésre hivatkozva úgy nyilatkozott, hogy a továbbiakban nem dolgozik a Klicsko fivérekkel. A Brooks által kiadott közlemény szerint a nyár nagy részét Németországban töltötte, de az erőfeszítései nem voltak eredményesek. "Az az egyszerű tény, hogy Peter Kohl részéről jelentős félreértés tapasztalható. Nem óhajtott leülni és egyértelművé tenni a dolgokat, én pedig nem kívántam, hogy olyasmivel vádoljanak, ami teljesen inkorrekt." - mondta Brooks. "Elsősorban azért voltam Németországban, hogy a Klicskókat edzzem, de megegyeztünk, hogy minden Univerzumos bokszolóval foglalkozom, amíg ott vagyok. Ebből aztán teljes fejetlenség lett - nem tudta a bal kéz, hogy mit csinál a jobb - és senki nem beszélt velem arról, ami zajlott. Miután két és fél hónapot töltöttem ott úgy, hogy egyáltalán nem is edzettem a Klicskókkal, pedig épp azért voltam ott, úgy döntöttem, nincs értelme ott maradnom, és szeptember közepén visszatértem az USÁ-ba. Vitalij körülbelül 2 hete hívott fel, és mégcsak nem is tudott róla, hogy elmentem - ez jól jellemzi az ott tapasztalt kommunikációs problémát.")<br><br>Hm. Elég érdekes...
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Tua-Rahmann frissítés...<br>#####<br>>>Tua-Rahman deadline today!<<<br>November 8, 2002 <br>By Flattop, Fightnews<br>http://www.fightnews.com/flattop76.htm<br><br>Egy komment a King-bejelentéshez (még korábbról):<br>#####<br>Roy not satisfied yet!<br>By Scott Shaffer, Fightnews<br>Once again, sources have jumped the gun in their haste to announce the John Ruiz-Roy Jones fight. Jones said today that although he wants to challenge for Ruiz’s WBA heavyweight title, he will not allow the fight to be announced yet. "I will not be attending any announcements or press conferences regarding that match until I am completely satisfied with the terms of the contract. Once I am at that stage, I will be more than happy to officially announce to the world my goal of being the next heavyweight champion," said Jones in a press release issued Wednesday night. This time, the media is not the only party guilty of overzealousness, as an earlier Don King press release implied the fight was set to go. "King... will announce the kickoff of a world heavyweight championship series with Evander Holyfield, Chris Byrd, Roy Jones Jr., and John Ruiz," stated a King press release that pre-dated Jones'. The King release concluded, "the historic series will commence on December 14th with the IBF heavyweight crown on the line between four-time world heavyweight champion Holyfield versus former world champion Byrd. The series continues with a March 1st bout between undisputed light heavyweight champion Jones and WBA heavyweight champ Ruiz. King anticipates matching the winners in late 2003 for a mega-fight heavyweight unification bout." In light of Jones' announcement, tomorrow’s New York City press conference will confirm only the Holyfield-Byrd bout. Jones has never given any public commitment to facing the winner of the December 14th fight. "I have only one agenda and that is to win the WBA heavyweight championship period," said Jones in the statement.  <br>11/6/2002 <br>
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

King Announces Heavyweight Series<br>By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS<br><br>NEW YORK (AP) -- For his next extravaganza, Don King is offering four fighters for a series that might lead the survivor to the man he calls the emperor of boxing -- WBC heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis.<br><br>The fighters include four-time champion Evander Holyfield, top contender Chris Byrd and WBA champion John Ruiz. The fourth is Roy Jones Jr., the former middleweight champ and current light heavyweight champ who is moving up in weight to fight with the big boys.<br><br>After he knocked out Mike Tyson last June, Lewis declared himself unimpressed with the credentials of Byrd, the No. 1 contender, and summarily surrendered the IBF championship. Lewis was convinced by King, and the promoters' $1 million payoff, that it was the right thing to do.<br><br>Armed with a vacant championship, King moved Thursday to solve that dilemma by matching Holyfield and Byrd for the IBF title on Dec. 14 in Atlantic City. The second part of his heavyweight perfecta is set for March 1 in Las Vegas when Jones will fight Ruiz.<br><br>King rented the Grand Ballroom at the Plaza Hotel for the announcement, giving notice that this was a big deal. He happily confirmed the token of appreciation that he paid Lewis.<br><br>"A brilliant move by the emperor,'' the promoter said of the transaction. "I gave him $1 million. They thought I was a complete idiot, and maybe I am. I couldn't have this unless I gave him the rainbow. He endorsed the series and made it more provocative. Maybe he'll give one of them permission to challenge him. He is in a world all his own.''<br><br>Lewis, who's scheduled to work as a commentator on the telecasts, was making no promises.<br><br>"I'll tell you after I see them box,'' he said.<br><br>King was at his bombastic best for this event, dropping references to leprechauns, Oprah, George Bush and Shakespeare.<br><br>Waving two American flags, he was all decked out in a sequined-sleeved denim jacket that featured a map of the United States on the back and Mount Rushmore on the front. He wore a red, white and blue bow tie.<br><br>The self-proclaimed world's greatest promoter talked about the two fights as a heavyweight series but admitted that, for the moment, they are separate entities.<br><br>"We're not saying anyone is signed for a unification,'' he said. "But we're hopeful.''<br><br>Jones, busy playing basketball for the Mobile, Ala., franchise of the National Basketball Development League, missed the news conference. The light heavyweight champion is moving up to heavyweight for a guaranteed purse of $10 million.<br><br>The deal pays him 60 percent of all net revenue from the pay-per-view fight, with the $10 million guaranteed. "Ruiz and me, we get 40 percent,'' King said. "Ain't no hanky-panky. This is real, 50-50.''<br><br>That means 20 percent of the net for King and 20 percent for Ruiz, whose biggest previous purse was $1.5 million for his last fight against Kirk Johnson. He won that on a disqualification, and manager Norm Stone said Ruiz would not fight Johnson again, despite a $3 million offer by promoter Dino Duva. "He's a dog,'' Stone said.<br><br>For the IBF title fight, Byrd gets approximately $3 million and Holyfield about $5 million.<br><br>Giving the occasion his blessing was Rev. Al Sharpton, who got some unfavorable attention from HBO's Real Sports series earlier this year. On this day, however, the reverend was in a charitable mood.<br><br>"We're not picketing today,'' he said to Ross Greenburg, president of HBO Sports. "We're on your side today. Don't be comfortable. It's just for today.''
donvito
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 746
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Light Heavyweight Champion Jones Seeks Heavyweight Title<br>By THE NEW YORK TIMES<br><br>Roy Jones Jr. will attempt to become only the second light heavyweight champion to win a heavyweight title when he meets World Boxing Association champion John Ruiz on March 1 in Las Vegas. And 40-year-old Evander Holyfield will attempt to become a champion for a fifth time when he fights Chris Byrd for the IBF title Dec. 14 in Atlantic City. <br><br>Both bouts will be part of a heavyweight championship series that will be announced at a news conference tomorrow in New York, according to the promoter Don King. <br><br>Jones has said he plans to weigh in the 190s against Ruiz, who will outweigh him by 30 to 40 pounds. Holyfield and Byrd will fight for the International Boxing Federation title vacated by Lennox Lewis, who has been hired as an announcer for the foreign TV broadcasts of the fight series. <br><br>Lewis holds only the World Boxing Council version of the title, though he is generally recognized as the universal heavyweight champion. He gave up the IBF belt rather than defend against Byrd. <br>______________________________________________________________<br><br>Eight to Compete in One-Night Event<br>By LENA WILLIAMS<br><br>The last man standing at the end of a single-night heavyweight boxing tournament at Trump Taj Mahal Casino in Atlantic City on Nov. 30 will walk away with $100,000 in cash. <br><br>The single-elimination event will consist of eight contenders, including Tim Witherspoon, a former World Boxing Council and World Boxing Association champion. Also competing for the grand prize, bragging rights and a possible shot at a title fight will be Gerald Nobles, Anthony Thompson, Jeremy Williams, Ray Austin, Maurice Harris, Derrick Jefferson and the Olympic bronze medalist, Paolo Vidoz of Italy. <br><br>The promoter, Cedric Kushner, said yesterday in a news conference at Trump Tower that the tournament will be shown live on pay-per-view. Each bout will consist of three rounds. <br><br>The draw will be announced two weeks before the event. Witherspoon (51-11-1, 32 knockouts) looms as a favorite, even though his age, 45, and a September loss by knockout to Lou Savarese make him vulnerable to younger power punchers like Nobles, 31. <br><br>"My age gives me the edge,'' Witherspoon said. "I'm not looking to go at a fast pace. I plan to use my head.''
WNB
Tiszteletbeli PKSZ tag
HozzászólásokCOLON 1843
CONTACTCOLON

Sajtószemle (NAM) #00

Tua-éhség...<br><br>#####<br>>>Time for Tua vs Rahman II is here<<<br>By Steve Trellert<br>http://www.eastsideboxing.com/boxing-ne ... >[b]Tuaman looking for Rahman Rematch[/b]<br>http://www.tuaman.com/news.html<br><br>By Paul Upham: IBF No.3 heavyweight David Tua, 41-3 (36), is looking towards an eliminator with former WBC/IBF champion Hasim Rahman, 35-4 (29), with the winner to move into the IBF No.1 position after current No.1 Chris Byrd and No.2 Evander Holyfield face off the vacant title on December 14. <br><br>“We are sitting in a pretty good position at the moment. It looks like we will be fighting Rahman first up next year for the mandatory No.1 position with the IBF,” said Tua’s trainer and manager Kevin Barry. “The only problem I see there is whether or not they take the fight.” <br><br>There is a history between the two with Tua winning a controversial battle by TKO in the tenth round against Rahman in December 1998. Tua has long been open to a rematch but Rahman has always declined the opportunity, says Barry. <br><br>“When we tried to challenge him both before and after he won and loss the world title, he would hear nothing of it. It will be interesting to see if he wants it, but it is a fight we really like,” he said. <br><br>After the WBA reshuffled their heavyweight ratings last week, Tua moved to No.4 and while the IBF belt seems the most likely target at this stage, there is also an opportunity for a shot at the WBA title as well. <br><br>“We are happy to be there in the WBA,” said Barry. <br><br>“There is an opportunity to fight off for their No.1 position. We have the IBF and the WBA. There is two openings there for us that will put us in direct line for a title shot. That’s where we have to be. That’s where the money is. That’s where at this particular stage of Tua’s career that I have to have him.” <br><br>After disappointing losses to Lennox Lewis in November 2000 and an IBF eliminator defeat to Chris Byrd in August 2001, Tua has rocketed back towards the top of the ratings with knockout wins over Fres Oquendo and most recently a thirty second destruction of former world champion Michael Moorer on August 17. <br><br>Barry has been very pleased with the turnaround that Tua has shown over the last twelve months. <br><br>“I’m pretty happy from the fact that at last he is doing some damage with his right hand. I take a little bit credit myself for working with him on the right hand day after day after day and getting David believing in his right hand. There is power in both sides of his body,” he said.<br><br>“We have got a long way to go. For David and I, it has always been the world title. I have always maintained that he was an underachiever. He has never ever shown his true ability, his true potential.” <br><br>Twenty nine year-old Tua has been back in his Las Vegas training camp for one week now. Barry described a perfect example as to why he feels Tua can do so much more. <br><br>“The ‘Winning’ boxing equipment body supports from Japan are apparently the best in the world. We have one that is about nine months old and he smashed it in half yesterday while I was wearing it,” said an astonished Barry. <br><br>“It was completely broken. It cost me about $350 (US) and he smashed it with a straight right to the body. This is what I see in the gym all the time. I begged David before that last fight, ‘go out there and let people see what I see every day. Just go out and throw your hands.” <br><br>It was therefore no surprise to Barry that Tua eliminated a veteran like Moorer so quickly, “I said to David everyday in the gym. ‘This fight will only go for as long as you let it go’. That’s all it came down to,” he said. <br><br>Barry says part of the reason for Tua’s overall improvement has been his better defence. <br><br>“A big part of what we are doing now is working on the defence,” he said. <br><br>“I was disappointed a few fights back when I saw him getting hit with punches that I believed he shouldn’t be getting hit with. He has really shown a lot of improvement in two camps.” <br><br>Right now Barry has been involved in some preliminary negotiations for a Tua-Rahman fight. Despite his good recent form, it may surprise some to learn that Tua is a free agent and not contracted to any promoter. <br><br>“I’ve had a number of discussions with Don King of late who is very keen to do something. But he has not come up with anything to make me want to go with him. Until he does we won’t,” said Barry. <br><br>“We have a very good working relationship with Cedric Kushner and we have hired Cedric to represent us in the last two fights as far as the site promoter and using his staff and they have been tremendous to deal with.” <br><br>With Tuaman back hard at work, Barry is planning for him to fight again before Christmas before an official title eliminator early in 2003. <br><br>“He will definitely be in the ring again before Christmas,” said Barry, who firmly believes that Tua can improve so much more. <br><br>“David is very, very pumped about his recent wins, but it is early days and we have got a lot more things to do yet,” he said. <br><br>Paul Upham <br>Contributing Editor <br> <br>
BUTTON_POST_REPLY